Epoxy squeeze-out: removal

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by NoEyeDeer, Sep 6, 2014.

1. alan craig

alan craig Senior Member

I've just been planing epoxy lumps off of some frame parts for my first boat, set the plane fine and very sharp. It works great for flat and convex but probably not for inside a boat as N-E-D was asking. I have no idea if this is normal and everybody knows, or is considered criminal abuse of tools.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A multi tool with a diamond grit saw works well. I've used a smooth tooth tool on the multi tool too, but it'll dull at the sight of a few goo globs. Ceramic sandpaper will do a good job if you need a bigger patch flattened. Since switching to these ceramic papers, I've halved my need to replace belts and disks, though it does cost twice as much. These papers seem to stay cleaner longer and tolerate being cleaned longer too.

Edges work fine if the goo is still green, but if they're hard, I just move to ceramics or diamond and stop screwing around.

3. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

Yeah, pretty normal. Carbide blades in a power plane are great for rough stuff. Hand planes can be good for finer stuff. Scrapers are handy too, and sometimes better than sanding. Depends on the situation. Use whatever works.

4. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Just found this thread and don't really have anything to add except on the multitool subject. I am on my second Fein brand multimaster multitool and bought the first when they first appeared on the US market, for years they were the only game in town, i assume they had patent protection. My first one did not fail but burned up in a building fire along with my Mac 36 cat. A couple of years ago i loaded up my tools and went out to the east coast to work on a boat i bought and of course I forgot to pack my multimaster so i bought a cheap knock off at Harbor Freight, im still using it and so far it has proven to be equal to the overpriced Fien, not better but just as good, i also discovered that they have excellent blades for cheap and that's what i now use on the Fien also, will the HF tool last as long? only time will tell i guess but for less than $30 who cares. In the US there are now many brands of multitool available now to choose from and i would not waste my money on a Fien again now that the patent has expired and i certainly never be buy their overpriced blades again.

Steve.