Epoxy over XPS method

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by mvoltin, Nov 16, 2018.

1. groper

groper Senior Member

Who said anything about building a hull with it???
    This is what has been happening all these years when people talk about using XPS in a yacht- they immediatly think about a hull... Well NO- i wouldnt use it in a hull either! Its not suitable for this application!
    Now- open you minds a little and think about how many other panels there are in a boat - besides the outer hull shell, and how they are loaded :)

BlueBell likes this.
  2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Right. My bunks are made with 12mm core, but an xps version 2" thick might be stiffer....the tradeoff is tuff to be fair. The bunk is fairly narrow say 36". So you'd add weight, lower cost, dent the product during the build easily, but have a stiffer bunk at the end...

To be fair Groper, the questions the OP asked were ambiguous. He might have meant hull.

3. groper

groper Senior Member

Well i also would not limit it to very simple things like that either- i reckon - at first glance- i could do alot more with it- actually pretty much everything save the outer hull shell!

Im talking transverse bulkheads, floors, roof\ceiling and decks etc.

Some applications will require a composite coring and or higher density outer core but there are alot of innovative solutions which have been borne from other industries which make all of this possible.

Next time i build a yacht- its going to open some eyes let me tell you :)

fallguy likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.