Epoxy and marine plywood

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by micag, Jul 17, 2006.

1. micag

micag New Member

It seems that advice abounds about the subject of wooden stringers being repaired or replaced. The fact that they failed in the first place, the blame seems to be on the use of wood and it's tendency to rot. In other posts I read that it's commonly believed that polyester resin doesn't stay well bonded to wood, to use epoxy instead. So it only seems logical that failed stringers can be atributed to the failure of the bond between the wood and polyester resin causeing water penetration and rot. I feel that the use of marine plywood and epoxy is far better than the original method, so wouldn't last far longer than 30 year old stuff I'm replacing?