Engineroom vent sizes table

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Landlubber, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Hi folks,
    Could someone please supply a table of required engineroom vent sizes for different horsepower ranges. Specifically I require answers in the 200 to 600 hp range and have not been able to find any satisfactory answers yet.

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

This is probably not what you are looking for but here is a graph on my web site based on air flow and compartment volume. What you seem to really want to know is how many cubic feet per minute the engine uses. If you knew that then you coild match that to a blower and vent sizes to handle the amount of air you need. Engine manufacturers probably have the information you are looking for http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/airflow.html

The ventilation page on my web site is: http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/vent.html

3. Nojjan

Nojjan All thumbs...

You should specify diesel of gas engine. The diesel is running with a large air surplus for best efficiency so it is important. Contact any Volvo Penta facility and ask them to read from the installation manual for a suitable engine. I have seen it for diesels at one point, I think it is about 1.9 x power (kW) in cm2 air duct consumption and then 1.65 x power (kW) for ventilation (both in and out).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.