Engine damage if running outside of recommended rpms @ wot

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by mralda, Aug 1, 2009.

1. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

I am going to print and frame that Frosty !!! and yes I did mean 13 x17p

Mind you we have had much success in cutting down props ..oops ..its not really the diameter I find that makes much difference but the blade area/blade shape .... given that the central 1/3 of the blades does very little

I would still like to know what the HP rating plate on the hull says as I am not convinced the motor is big enough...

2. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

pistnbroke
    When you say central 1/3 is that to the hub or the leading edge?
    Just interested that all
    Regards
    Powerabout
    PS yes I agree boat sounds underpowered

3. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

inner third of blades

however I do think that if you used the fitted prop at wot for long periods you might have trouble if you are running at cruise say 4000 then its not so much a problem ...unlike quoted earlier the motor will not be running at max output ( at 4000 ) because the throttle is not fully open ..say 75% which means the gearbox is not over stressed ...now we know why the previous owner sold it ...the motor is too small ..but having said that not unreliable and probably more economical .....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.