encapsulated keel repair

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by MikeH007, Jun 7, 2011.

1. MikeH007

MikeH007 Junior Member

Can I use polyurethane foam to fill (after cleaning out damaged material) as backer for epoxy then glass repair. Material in photo is pinkish dense but featherweight surrounding the lead keel. This lead keel is also bolted to the hull. Having pro check for any other potential hull damage. I could not find anything.
    Want to determine best repair for DIY or by pro. I do have insurance. Getting quote.

Attached Files:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

No, the pink stuff is polyester bedding compound. You should use some kind of filler. Short strand polyester filler works well for that. It doesn't heat up as much as epoxy

3. MikeH007

MikeH007 Junior Member

Will poly short strand provide enough backing support to shape to rebuild the form and then glass over without any epoxy ?

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'm not sure what you bashed into, but that laminate took a serious shot and is fractured all over the place. I'm sure your surveyor will point out the extent of the damage, but you've got a lot of grinding to do before you consider bulking it back up.

From the little I can surmise in the photo, you have laminate damage a few feet in every direction, which has to come out or be feathered back and laminated back in.

I'd recommend epoxy, just to make the job easier and stronger for the novice in a driveway repair.

5. MikeH007

MikeH007 Junior Member

Depth aftward is less than 6 in. Vertical about 12 to 16 in. Photos distort damage. No visibole damage beyond. Line is bottom coat peeled back. Will get pro and insurance adjustor assessment before proceeding DIY. I think damage was more from grinding on underwater object like a rock pile. It took a little maneuvering to free the keel. Thanks for advice

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If I was doing the repair, I would make a few 1" holes aft of the damage to see how far the delamination goes.

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yep, Gonzo is on the right path. I'm quite sure the damage is much more extensive then you see here. We'll see what the surveyor has to say.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.