electrical

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Guest, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I am currently buiilding a 27 foot cabin cruiser. Soon I will have to start thinking about the electrical layout in the boat. Instead of using a dual 12 volt 12DC and 115 AC layout I was thinking of going all AC and using an inverter. Does this make sense and is it OK as far as regulations go. Paul

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Are you having a generator or is the main engine fitted with a 120V alternator? If you ran a inverter, I assume you mean a battery charger that outputs 12V nominal, there will be a 12V system anyway. There are no restrictions in the regualtions as long as you comply with the electrical code. The regulations for high voltage make an instalation like that more expensive.

3. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Both Professional Boatbuilder and Passagemaker magazines have featured excellent articles on the design and installation of electrical systems in relatively recent issues. They are written so that you don't need to be an electrician to get some idea of the best system for your needs. I'd start there.....

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Where are you located? Regualtions change between countries?

5. Guest

Guest Guest

To clear up some confusion regarding my post. I am located in California.
    By an inverter I mean a system that will convert 12volt battery power to 115 Volt AC. The advantages of an 115 system would be lighter duty wiring since current load is nearly 10 times lower at 115 at same power usage vs. 12 volt system. Possibly better choice of accesories such as Microwave, refrigeration etc. Thanks Paul Bruins

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Sorry about the confuion. USCG regulations require a grounded system with ground fault breakers in any wet location. In a small boat it is simpler to install a GFI for the whole system. These are some of the other things that must be USCG approved:
    -wiring
    -breakers
    -any electrical appliance or switch in the engine compartment where there may be fumes. That includes: battery charger, inverter, water heater, light swithches, breakers, anything with a switch or solenoid.
    -wiring must be supported adequately
    All the rules are in the Federal Code of Regulations which you can access for free online. They include every other USCG rules too. ABYC is easier to use because you don't have to fish around as much. They don't cover everything though. Another source is NMMA (national marine manufacturer's association).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.