Electric Leisure Boat Design II

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by slboatdesing, Aug 9, 2022.

1. slboatdesing

slboatdesing Senior Member

Thanks for the price update.

Also thanks to "Kerosene" for recommending "Nature of boats" by Gerr. I got it the other day, in excellent condition, and it has a whole lot of information - I will have to read it a few times over.

There is a reference to the 1979 Fastnet Yacht Race Tragedy which I looked up, there was also a riveting documentary on the whole thing, very tragic.

There is also a reference to Richard Branson's Challenger II cross Atlantic adventure, which I looked up, which the author mentions to illustrate the danger of colliding with things. Having recently been in a 33 knot speedboat ride, never thought of that. Branson certainly has a lot of determination.

2. slboatdesing

So boating 'overseas' may be a better option now, especially when we go on a holiday. Found this on the web just now, my ideal boat ride, if a little too fast. Must be about $100 per half hour.

Ramadia Ran Mal Holiday Resort Speedboat rides

3. slboatdesing

I don't think I could just show up with my plank boat and an electric motor and battery at one of these launching points. Many of the resorts where I used to live have waterfronts and some had boats. The first thing is to rent a boat and get familiar with the environment. The next thing is to buy a used hull and motor and come to some agreement about keeping the boat on site, to be rented out if needed and maintained correctly, insured, and generally kept going. After a few years of experience, maybe I will be ready to get my own boat built and cruise up and down the lake in it.

Then I plan my next boat.

A plywood boat will cost about $300 to build, an used motor maybe another $500 and the steering wheel and seats not much more. It all must fit in the back of a pickup truck (1) or medium sized truck for transportation after building and transportation to maintenance and back. It will not be stored at home. Definitely a nesting design. The mini pickup truckbed is 6.6 ft or 2.01 m in length allowing for a 12 ft / 4 metre long boat, which may help with reducing hull speed. (The yellow box represents the truck bed)

(1) At 6 feet 8 inches in length, the floor of the Suzuki Carry regular cab load bed is the longest of any mini truck … just as the Daihatsu Hijet’s is. Yes, that’s right, they’re both #1 because they’re both the same.

Attached Files:

4. slboatdesing

5. slboatdesing

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
  6. slboatdesing

Outboard jet motors will solve my beaching and propeller breaking problems. Nice one.

Outboard Jets http://outboardjets.com

On second thoughts, as I imagined, it will cost over $2000, more than the boat. A boat can be got at Walmart?

From 29.99 to 1,199

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
  7. slboatdesing

In this place, boats are either used for tourism at $200 an hour or above, or are yatchs, everything else is a jetski.
    I seem to be out of luck: in another place and time I would be fixing together two sheets of plywood and a 2 Hp electric motor to do something on the water. Or I would purchase a standard boat and a little electric motor, or rent a local one.

In the meantime I came across the Sea Flea, and a documentary of its inventor, what a life, building and selling plans for boats for many other people to build and enjoy. I wish all nations had this sort of thing, but there are limits to what a nation uses its resources for, disposable incomes and so on.

Seaflea Plans | Muskoka Seaflea https://muskokaseaflea.ca/StaticWeb2/?page_id=36

8. slboatdesing

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  9. slboatdesing

The final part of the design is the propeller protector that can take beaching with a full load, and also be dragged up the breach when empty, like a kayak. The prop can then operate in areas only jet boats and jet skis can operate. The boat has to be broken into two and transported in a pickup truck.

Will this propeller guard do?

https://www.amazon.com/PROTECTION-HELICE-9/dp/B00GT0LR20

If not there is the box guard: A prop protector plus some underside rails for protection and dragging would work.

That said, I don't think I can proceed any further under these conditions.

Attached Files:

10. slboatdesing

This looks like it is not going to be done soon. I said design, so design it is. I will be a handy punt with a trolling motor, plywood sheets and a steering wheel.

Handy Punt Plans PDF https://duckworks.com/handy-punt-plans/

4 sheets of ply, about $ 120 for 5 mm total, correct me if I am wrong:

Plywood 5.2mm https://sonee.com.mv/products/plywood-ply-wood-64-139003

Trolling motor: $ 800 with taxes and shipping

[​IMG]
    Electric Trolling Motor, 12V 18Lbs 220W 2000rpm Brushed Trolling Boat Motors Mult

Battery : $100

Total $1120

Funds are available, but some things are not in place yet

11. slboatdesing

12. slboatdesing

This design is very close to what I want.

Power is provided by a small electric trolling motor mounted in a rudder post aft with speed controls relocated on the instrument panel. A foot mounted push button switch assures safe operation. Steering is accomplished through a simple wheel and cable system. A standard 12 volt deep cycle battery mounted forward provides sufficient capacity for several hours of fun. An on-board charger facilitates easy recharging. Although intended for children, it will accommodate up to 300 pounds.

Memory https://www.woodenboat.com/boat-plans-kits/memory

13. Paul Scott

Paul Scott Senior Member