electric boat calculation

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by gp333, May 23, 2010.

1. gp333

gp333 Junior Member

2. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Bonna sera, bonjorno , Hold on gp333. Yes, you are right, they exsist, large boats with electro motors. But your question was in thread No 1: 480 Hp i.e. 360 KiloWatt motors. There is in Austraila already a ferry, who is carting automobiles for years across the harbour. Refer battery and new battery technologies. You should have formulated your question differently. Why don't you try it again. But think careful what you like to hear from the forum members. Formulate it in such a way, like : I like to have an electro boat crossing the ocean. Could you give me the parameters to do so. Maybe, you get excactly what you want to hear.
    Bert

3. gp333

gp333 Junior Member

heh, too risky post again :))
    yes, sure I am not say right parameters good on start. But my question was be how make any solution.. anyone was chance say solution only... but lot wish say that you are 'lunatic' as you ask this at all.

On any way, I am here same person who is ask on start, same person again show link what is one of real solutions. No need ask more. I have idea and solution that solve my question about 30meters electro boat crossing the ocean alone. I am post that others see it only. No need new posts as I know enough now

4. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Excellent gp333. Never must you be worrried when certain characters are being rude and unpleasant. Yes, you could make an electric boat which could cross the ocean. 30 meters, yes, lots of solar panels and only maybe 10 Kw. But you will have to avoid storms, otherwise your power requirements will be maybe 5 to 10 times larger. Your speed would be 8 knots for a displacement hull. But in your case, many members will recommend to make a tri-hull.
    Bert

5. gp333

gp333 Junior Member

yeh, for sure avoid storms.. but in my plans is not so hard required that it be 100% solar and done. Yacht can have diesel generators and in these moments is not problem run diesel to get more power in storm conditions only or similar.

about tri-hull, yes, me looks this as some tri-hull version? as I can see on images, all stay on 2 hulls, but middle 3th hull in very near water. I believe they are design like this.. if it is good condition it go quick as catamaran on "rails", but if harder sea condition that middle hull start be in water and make additional stability

6. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

and the totally renewable solar originating wind power with sails will be cheaper and also can be supplemented with diesel on calm days. Or solar-electric.
    But a substantial array and related battery pack are extremely expensive. Can things be done even if more practical alternatives exist - yes.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.