Einstein's Sailboats

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by bjl_sailor, Feb 17, 2005.

1. bjl_sailor

bjl_sailor Junior Member

hello:

I'm reading "ALbert Einstein: Life and Times" and found many aspects of this man's life most interesting -- perhaps above all -- me being an inveterate sailor was his love for sailing. Check out this this very cool link to Einstein's 50th birthday present -- a very cool 1929 German designed coastal cruiser he called 'tuemmler' and refered to affectionaly at his "thick little yacht" . I should think he really means 'stout little yacht' but something's don't quite translate...

http://www.einstein-website.de/z_biography/tuemmler-e.html

Sadly he recieved it in 1929 and by 1930 was driven out of germany by the NAZI's in 1930. The article declares losing his yacht was one of the worst things he endured on being driven from Europe...

The bigraphy also refers to his 15' daysailor he used on Long Island Sound and Watch Hill RI. This was 'tinef' Yiddish for junk and it does appear to be a rather boxy and unassuming little craft from photo's I've seen. Interestingly, he despised outboard motors and even politely returned one given to him as a gift.

I'm also researching perhaps his apocryphil ecounter with the Marine Architect Starling Burgess and possibly his input on America's Cup designs for that era and possibly a boat he designed for Albert.

If anyone has links or other info about his other sailboat and sailing stories please let me know.

Cheers

bjl

2. bobothehobo

bobothehobo Junior Member

"God invented Sailboats to prevent the truly gifted from ruling the world"

3. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

Bobthehobo...only the truly gifted can have the intelligence to purchase a sailboat. But anyway, what a good looking boat that Einie had.

4. boby boy

boby boy owner of cla boat design

What a wonderful boat. Has any one thaught of recreating it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.