Eider Duck build

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by lewisboats, Jan 9, 2012.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Had to do an about face and change the Step and Partner. I re-tried the old mast and the wind was blowing enough to show me that it wouldn't be up to the task. I assume that the little canoe I was using it on twisted along with the amas and akas and that everything absorbed enough of the sails energy to keep the mast from bending too much. Such is not the case with this boat...it never heard of Chubby Checker and there ain't no Twistin' going on here. I am going to use the mast from my Thunderbird and Jerry rig the Sprit onto it (actually I already did). I made a quick and dirty Mast Step to use for now until I can work up a nicer one. We also got the hole cut in the bottom for the Daggerboard, the other side deck glued on and the combing glued and screwed on. Still plenty to do but I can see the home stretch around the bend.

Here's Nitasha with the Daggerboard in the just completed slot.

[​IMG]

And from another angle... 30" of board exposed.

[​IMG]

Here is the handle...if it is too much for her hand we'll put a drawer pull on it.

[​IMG]

Here is the new Step and Partner hole

[​IMG]

This is just the Coaming installed.

[​IMG]

2. lewisboats

It is amazing...you build a boat to keep out water and then put a bunch of holes in it! Cut out the Deck Plate holes today, after which the underside of the SB side deck got it's coat of paint which we forgot to do before installing. I also attached a trim piece on the inside of the SB side box and we generally cleaned up and smoothed out a bunch of stuff. I will probably fillet the seams and coat the inside of the cockpit tomorrow and start getting things ready for painting. I also glued and screwed the bottom of the DB case last night and cleaned things up today. I missed with a couple of the screws so I have two holes to fill...I'll do it tomorrow when I fillet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. lewisboats

Sanding, Grinding, Trimming and YES...some Paint too! Installed the exterior trim strips, sealed the bottom of the DB case and laid on the first of the paint. It will be a two tone purple...dark on light(er) (her boat-her choice). I also got a coat of epoxy on the other side of the daggerboard. The rest of the deck plates came in so they will be installed tomorrow along with finishing up the first coat on the bottom and sides (curing bedding/caulk)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. lewisboats

More paint today...a bit of trim trimming too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Looks better every time I check the thread...:)

6. lewisboats

Still got some to go and this weekend is supposed to be wet starting late tonight. Hopefully Sunday afternoon it dries up and I can get some more done. I am expecting to be done with it by next weekend and the other one soon thereafter. Leaving Friday the first early with both plus my son's Butterfly.

7. lewisboats

Bottom and outside trim paint pretty much done, flipped the boat and started on the inside. Filleted all the seams except for immediately around the step as that will be replaced when I get back. All the inside surfaces got a coat of epoxy too. I also put the last of the inside trim on and filled holes and caulked seams. Looking at sanding tomorrow and getting a first coat of paint in the tub and on the decks. Deck hatches will need to be installed after the last of the paint along with the lift handles and any other hardware it might get. Should be water worthy by Wednesday. I also put the first coat of varnish on one side of the Daggerboard.

1 person likes this.
  8. lewisboats

Slight delay as yesterday we both were so tired we started off making mistakes. Decided to give it up as a bad deal and went to bed.
    Today got a good base coat on almost everything...but I hadn't buzzed the top of the DB case down yet so I had to do that and seal with epoxy.

[​IMG]

The middle section of both decks is going to be the darker purple but we don't have a lot so the lighter stuff is being used for the base coats.

[​IMG]

Got a couple more coats of varnish on the Daggerboard too.

[​IMG]

9. lewisboats

Storms due in today so just a quick coat of paint in the tub and on the side decks then flip it over so it can dry. Bloody board is all rough after the second coat...looks like I'll have to sand it off and redo that side...again.

1 person likes this.
  10. lewisboats

The last of the paint touch-ups was done this morning and the deck plates installed. The rudder was tackled and conquered after trying to find the correct Gudgeons for the Pintles installed and finally changing them both out. I had to make a plate to even up the mount for the rudder because of the trim pieces I put on. Of course I had to make a trip to the store for the correct screws. My order from Duckworks for a bunch of jam and cam cleats came in so I installed one on the tiller and then went back to the store for a couple of eyes to lead the rudder haul up line over the rudder head and to the cleat. Spent 1/2 hour or more searching for the pin I used last year to attach the Tiller to the rudder but finally had to settle on a bolt that fit. The final act of today was to flip the boats over because it is supposed to rain tomorrow and I have no idea how long I will be comatose...I have been up since 3 pm yesterday and it is now...9:41 PM. I can't go to bed for a little bit more as I am cramping because I didn't drink enough water so the gallon or so I just drank has to have a little time to settle.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the finger...don't know how that got in there.

[​IMG]

Oh...I got a few drips of epoxy down in the DB case so I will have to staple some sandpaper to a piece of 1/2" ply and work it off. I found this out when I shoved the DB down and it was quite a tight fit...scuffed the varnish too.

11. lewisboats

Well...it sailed with no complaints whatsoever. I did however have to change the boom to a more conventional one as I need to put a 2 part purchase so my daughter could hold the sheet. It ended up that she didn't need it at Rend lake this time which is a good thing as the tack end of the boom split from the eye screwed into it. My fault...I left the sail up when beached and the wind backed and forced the sail too far forward for the wood to hold the strain. It was just an 8' chunk of fir stair rail that I threw in at the last minute before leaving and I rigged it in the grass there. Otherwise it sailed absolutely perfect at both messabouts. I do want to do up a different rudder for it and I will need to make a new mast...I want my stuff back.
    The boat also makes a great fishing platform and sunning deck...only one catfish but it was an eater...which we didn't eat. I will be mounting a board for a trolling motor so she can use it in the local Ox bow lakes.

12. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Congratulations - Well done Steve . . ! !

Thanks for this informative build thread [​IMG]

And lots of fun to Nitasha with her new boat . . . :)

Good luck !
    Angel

13. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

14. peabody

peabody Junior Member

steve .. u have inspired me .. awsome .. :)

15. lewisboats

A bit of an update... I am adding an additional daggerboard case on the other side tank. I have a different sail for it and the CE is significantly more forward so this case is about 10" further forward than the other one. I'll get some pics later but this one is exactly the same as the other one I did so you can reference that above. Going on Vacation with it a week from Friday so construction will go as fast as possible. So far I have the case basically built, sealed on the inside and curing now. I'll trim it down, install it and cut the opening then seal it but I probably won't paint until after the vacation. The hull needs some touch ups too so I might just give the whole thing a new coat or two.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.