Eco-Friendly Materials??

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by bigalogigalo, Mar 3, 2008.

1. rizorman

rizorman New Member

Does anyone know of aluminum composites that mix with recycled plastics? Check out this article... I'm coming late to the thread, but I was very interested in the topic. Most boats are built with whatever material is abundant in close proximity. I don't think that has changed much in the past few hundred years. What has changed is that now there is abundant plastic waste all over the world. I would like to have strong, light, stable, green, affordable and beautiful material for my project, is that so much to ask for? I live on the west coast (where deforestation is a real problem and driftwood... what is that???).

2. rizorman

rizorman New Member

3. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

them really are'nt eco-friendly are they?,,even though its recycled plastic,,,what does it take to make it so we could use it?,,what chemicals,,what machinery,,what waste is produced,and what do we put back into the environment to process it all?,,and what i think is the ONLY way to ACTUALLY be eco-friendly,,,is to make a boat outta things we can say is o.k. for the fishies if our boat sinks,,and if made without putting waste in place of what we took in the first place,,,,,thinking the only REAL eco friendly is,,,,,,swim,,,,hehe ;)

4. rizorman

rizorman New Member

I understand the wood argument, and I love the look of course... To maintain a wood boat also involves using chemicals that are not so fish friendly. Aluminum & AL composites require little maintenance and over the long run might be a lighter pollutant / carbon footprint. The big boys of the boat manufacturing industry will most likely not return to wood as a viable hull material and that is who I'd like to influence. If the hull is stable and does not degrade, it would have more longevity and have a higher salvage value. I don't know if Al wrecks would be as big of an issue as you think, besides have seen how much plastic is discarded into the ocean as trash? If something has higher value, it's not thrown away so casually...

5. rizorman

rizorman New Member

I wanted to throw out the idea that combining materials seems to be a viable option as well. Wood for the framing and above the waterline with an aluminum composite below and at the bow might be an interesting combination. And by the way, I can't swim as far as I want to go...

6. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

pitch and tar aren't fish friendly?

7. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

and trust me rizor,,,,my comments are jus fer the "other side" sake of conversation.,,,if you would of said we should only use wood,,,,i would of said something like " how bout a plastic and aluminum composite" ,,hehe ;)

8. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

and,,,fer convo.,,,if you came up with a coolz idea using plastic and aluminum for boat building,,,wouldnt it "run over" to other industrial uses,,and more uses,,and more,,,,then that foot print wouldnt be so small any more. and really man,,,,this is fer convo sake,,,dont freak on me and think im jus an @ss,,hehe,,well i am,,but,,,anyways,,,,,,"i cant swim as far as i want to go...",,,thats why i advocate the use of arm floaties,,hehe ;)

9. TripleCrownNC

TripleCrownNC Junior Member

Watch out Jim, going to start painting again soon so get your rest while you can. :) Nothen eco friendly about Awlgrip.

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

In my opinion most materials - take fiberglass or epoxy - is as eco friendly as it can be once cured and out of the boat yard or place where-it-was-built. Even if such a boat sink there is never any substance released that would harm the environment. In fact, many creatures would move into such a wreck and live there happily ever after untill eaten by something else that will live there happily ever after untill another something will eat it up and then live there happily ever after untill...

So, if I was you I'd rather worry about the highly poisonous gasses excreted from you automobile and start either sailing and walking -

- or stop worrying about it.

11. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i cant walk,,,,,creates more highly poisonous gasses excreted from me then 3 cars hehe ;)

12. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

finally,,,,a good reason to be reaching at their bra's,,,,i was jus charging my phone ma'm,,,hehe,,now,,if we could just build a boat out of these bra's,,hehe,,,,
    TOKYO (Reuters) - Ladies, take your battle for the environment a little closer to your heart with a solar-powered bra that can generate enough electric energy to charge a mobile phone or an iPod.

Lingerie maker Triumph International Japan Ltd unveiled its environmentally friendly, and green colored, "Solar Power Bra" on Wednesday in Tokyo which features a solar panel worn around the stomach.

The panel requires light to generate electricity and the concept bra will not be in stores anytime soon, said Triumph spokeswoman Yoshiko Masuda, as "people usually can not go outside without wearing clothes over it."

But it does send the message of how lingerie could possibly save the planet, Masuda said, adding that the bra should not be washed or sunned on a rainy day to avoid damaging it.

Being eco-friendly is now fashionable in Japan, and the "Solar Energy Bra" follows the company's other green-themed undergarments that include a bra that turns into a reusable shopping bag and one that featured metal chopsticks to promote the use of reusable chopsticks.

"It is very comfortable and I can really feel involved in eco-friendly efforts as well," model Yuko Ishida said.

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Jim, Apple has now made a device that plays music from woman's breast implants.

The I-tit was introduced due to the fact that too many woman complained that men just stare at their breasts and never listens to them ;)

1 person likes this.

14. masalai

masalai masalai

Give me a real tit and not a twittering tit

< Choices | Hid#? >