Dux stays

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Mike Inman, Nov 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mike Inman

Mike Inman Junior Member

2. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

I went with Dux when I replaced the shrouds on my trimaran. For me, the most critical problem with wire is not knowing the condition of the wire in the fittings, which is what led me to replace my stays after they'd lived 7 years in the south Texas sun. With deadeyes, there's no hidden wire that can corrode out of sight. I've been happy with the choice.

3. Mike Inman

Mike Inman Junior Member

I've read that - but also it seems that the overall life of the dux is considerably less than the stainless, like maybe less than half?

Another interesting thing I've seen done is wrapping dyneema in tape (like electrical tape - not my favorite substance on earth), to protect it from UV - but this would seem to conceal the condition of the line...

4. OzFred

OzFred Senior Member

Given that the primary reasons for failure are sun damage and chafe, sheathing may not be an issue. Wrapping in electrical tape seems weird, maybe you meant heat–shrink tubing?
    I think the biggest issue is creep, but once you work out how (and how often) to re–tension the rig, that shouldn't be much of a problem.

5. Mike Inman

Mike Inman Junior Member

Seemed weird to me, too - saw it in some video of guys rigging a trimaran in Sarasota, they were definitely using tape.

6. M&M Ovenden

M&M Ovenden Senior Member

7. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

I experienced creep initially. Occasionally, when sailing upwind I would go down to the leeward ama and take up the slack in the leeward shrouds. Then I'd tack and do the same to even out the other side. I don't recall having to do that after about the first year. However, it is a good idea to allow for a generous amount of creep when planning the initial length for the deadeye lashings.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.