Dream Flyer fl-an 18' daysailing trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

This boat is based on a foiler hull of mine that will have a new bow, carbon crossarms and carbon/styro amas and the original 165 sq.ft. rig with a new asy spin about the size of an F16 spin(188 sq.ft.). And the project began today with me putting a deposit down with Falcon Marine ,LLC for carbonating the styro amas that I will supply to them. They are also going to help me find some help and space to assemble and carbonate all the pieces into position on the boat. This is more like assembling an airplane than it is a boat-barely will fit in a 20 X 20 shop! And also today, I retained the services of Eric Sponberg to help with various issues in the design ,including, but not limited to the carbon hinges/sliding ferrule that will allow this boat to fold in one minute flat. This project begins today. More later.

Dream Flyer fl Specs:
    ( Design by Doug Lord)

1-LOA-about 18'
    2-Beam-
    -- main hull-3.1'
    -- Cl ama to cl ama-14'
    -- Overall beam foil tip to foil tip-18'
    3-Weights:
    a. main hull-148lb/67.3kg (with modified bow) 100% carbon
    b. beams(including verticals on amas and main hull, hinges and ferrules for folding)-52lb/23.64kg.
    c. seats and support tubes(2 high back, sliding bucket seats supported by and sliding on 2 -2" carbon tubes)-20lb/9.1kg.
    d. 2 amas-36lb/16.36kg.
    e. "normal" foils incl. ama horizontal foils-24lb/10.91kg.(Note- hydrofoils shown below add 16lb/7.27kg).
    f. rig-30 lb/13.64kg.
    -----------------
    Estimated sailing weight minus crew: 310lb* / 140.95kg

* F18 catamaran min sailing weight=396lb/ 180kg.
    -----------------
    Ratios(see Design Ratios PDF from Eric Sponberg below)

1) Displacement/Length Ratio(DLR)= 43.9
    2) Sailarea/Displacement Ratio=
    --a. upwind=37.8
    --b. downwind= 80.9
    3) Bruce Number=
    --a. upwind= 1.54
    --b. downwind= 2.25
    =========================================================

Notes:
    1--Main foils: (two separate and completely interchangeable sets)
    2--Daggerboard and rudder T-foils with dual wand altitude control system,
    3--"normal" daggerboard and "normal" Dotan kickup rudder
    4-Rig: carbon mast with reefable sock luff main and square top jib,
    asy spin(F16 or similar) 188 sq.ft.
    5-Main hull is vinyl ester + carbon; amas epoxy carbon + 1.5lb styro, foils are wood +carbon.
    6- First use(that I know about) of DSSM or 'DSS for multihull' foils that consist of a 4' span by 6" chord foil attached to the ama just forward of the forward beam. The foil is nominally horizontal when being used and draws no water. Based on the DSS foil designed by Hugh Welbourn that is being successfully used on monohull keelboats. The point of it is to allow a very small ama because the buoyancy of a "normal" ama is replaced by the lift generated by the foil. This is a major weight savings and also allows the center of lift to be a bit further forward than it would be with a "normal" ama. Compared to curved lifting foils or angled(inboard) foils these will be less efficient but they do not require a trunk and are not retractable. Further, the center of lift is in line with the centerline of the ama as opposed to inboard with normal "foil assist".
    Just the first experiment of many with this boat.
    7- Main beams will be 4.3" Dia carbon tubes with a .15" wall thickness-Forte or similar. They will be split at just under the 8' wide trailer limit with the tubes supported by a sliding ferrule controlled by a push rod. The ferrule(inner tube) is attached to a carbon pushrod that exits either outboard( shorter but could leak) or inboard(longer) and is operated when you reach the sailing venue after you fold the amas down. Leaving you fold them up after using the pushrod to slide the ferrule out of the way. The hinges are carbon and the whole assembly is light. But whats really cool is that each ama can be folded or unfolded and be ready to sail in about one minute.
    8- Crew(generally one) sits in a bucket seat with a high back(possibly folding)with an adjustable angle of recline.The two seats face each other across the boat. Both will slide fore and aft ,if required. The crew is not required to move on this boat ,generally speaking: no running side to side with every tack. It is possible that in certain instances of sheer terror the crew may be persuaded to exit the bucket seat and move a bit outboard. But I'm trying to eliminate that eventuality. The main thing is extreme comfort and a very low workload. And real nice speed....

Pictures, L to R- 1) Rig for the aeroSKIFF which is being converted to the Dream Flyer-same on both boats, 2) T-foil rudder, 3) Main foil-wand controlled, 4) Dotan rudder,5) what the bow looks like now and,6) the outline of the new shape in a few weeks, 7) model based on this hull-only bow will be a bit similar on the new boat-no raised, curved deck, 8) "normal daggerboard", 9) The Star Wars picture of the first launch back years ago:

click on image for best detail-

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Congratulations on getting started on a real build, nothing quite like it except the day you launch. Hope all goes well with the build, we expect pictures and updates along the way.

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Dream Flyer fl, an 18' daysailing trimaran

================
    Thanks, Petros! I've been hoping to be able to do this for some time-now is the time......

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Dream Flyer fl, an 18' daysailing trimaran

============
    Thanks Corely! Even though this isn't the high powered superboat I'd hoped to be able to do it does have some advantages: the main hull is complete except for some bow mods, there are two sets of foils for the main hull(lifting+normal and normal), main, jib and carbon mast- all relatively new. So, a bit of a head start.....

6. gypsy28

gypsy28 Senior Member

Cool project, cant wait to see it sailing.

Nerer heard carbonate or carbonating before, did you invent those words :p

Good Luck
    DAVE

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

==============
    Thanks! Ah, maybe, but I doubt it....I always used to(before 1990) say I was going to or I did glass this or glassed that. Seemed inappropriate when I was working 100% with carbon.

8. dstgean

dstgean Senior Member

I thought it was a Star Wars reference;^)

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Today I ordered the carbon tubes from Forte:
    1) 28' of 4.3" Diameter X .15" wall-main cross arms,
    2) 8'(4 2' pieces) for ferrules made to slide into main tubes to allow folding.
    3) 2-24" X 3" OD X .125" wall tubes for rear verticals(ties in rear cross to main hull)
    4) 2-18" X 3" OD X .125" tubes for forward verticals
    I was concerned whether or not they'd do the ferrules which are critical for the folding system but no problem. They were a pleasure to deal with.
    ----
    Also ordered the 1.5lb styrofoam amas to be cut from a solid block of foam .
    Will have the vertical tube holes cut for the carbon tubes( I have these) to tie in to the cross arms. When done( I have to do a bit of tweaking like sanding the edges) Sharon at Rocklege Architectural will deliver the hulls to Matt at Falcon. He'll carbonate them with two layers of 5.7oz woven carbon.
    Estimated finished weight of each ama=18lb..

10. P Flados

P Flados Senior Member

And now we can all say: Just Do It!!!!!!!!!!
    (with out any anticipation of: An "I wish" response)

We will follow with great interest.

11. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Good Onya Doug.
    Watching with great interest.
    Paddy. :D

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Dream Flyer fl

Thanks guys-finally!

13. HASYB

HASYB Senior Member

Sounds and looks very promising Doug.
    You also got yourself some prominent help, congrats.
    Looking forward to the build and of course see it sailing.
    Good luck,
    Hielan

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Dream Flyer fl

==========
    Thanks, Hielan!

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Dream Flyer fl

Heres a rough sketch of the essence of the folding system. Keep in mind that the ama + tube is not very heavy(about 18lb/8kg).
    To fold, you grasp the handle and slide the insert(ferrule) toward you. When it is clear of the tube end under the hinge-you fold-and thats it.

click on image:

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.