Dorado 30 High speed stability

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Austin, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I can't comment much more, I'd like to see the lines plan of the boat, but that won't be available, boats can look as if they are a warped plane bottom, but that one isn't, strictly speaking. I think your weight is too far aft, and the boat is riding mainly on that curved bottom well aft, acting like a "spoon" bow, which are notorious for wandering, add that to a long pod and two legs taking the CLR further aft, you have a steering effect. One possibility, would be to deepen your centre skeg, maximum at around a third of the way forward from the stern, that will move the CLR forward a bit, but not become an issue to make the boat broach in following seas. The problem there, would likely be with getting the boat on and off the trailer.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  2. Austin

Austin Junior Member

I appreciate all the help!
    Going to try moving some weight forward and raising the engines to start.

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

That's probably a good start, as it doesn't involve huge difficulty. I think those short videos you posted helped expand the picture of what is going on.

4. Alexander Peter Bromley

Alexander Peter Bromley Junior Member

Did you come right with shifting your onboard weights more forward?

I would have also said the cheapest solution would be to shift weight forward so your hull is riding on the sharper end of your V.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Is it a distortion on the photo, or are those trim tabs bent into a curved surface?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.