doorskin plywood

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Steve W, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Does anyone have a good scource of luan doorskin plywood in the US?

Steve.

1 person likes this.
  2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Door skin plywood has changed in recent years. It use to be plywood, but now is a wood faced paper product. I still use it for template making and the big box stores carry it, usually in 3x7 sheets.

4. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Thanks guys, i hadnt checked world panel, ill see if i can get some samples. I havnt bought any in more than a decade, the last batch i ordered 30 sheets from chicago plywood and door and it was nice stuff at less than $4 a sheet but they dont show it now.

Steve.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Menards has 1/8 lauan for $11.49

1 person likes this.
  6. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Ive only ever seen 1/4" at any of the Menards here, they sell it as underlayment and it is what i use for templates, its closer to 3/16", it used to be quite good and ive built dinghies with it that are 25yrs old, now its crap and half of it is delaming on the shelf, anyway what im after is 1/8" or less, exterior glue and cheap.That 1/8" at world panel for $12 looks promising, it remains to be seen if it will pass the boil test.

Steve.

7. michael pierzga

The one eight 3 ply template stock I use is about 12 dollars a sheet. Some of it is nice ply , some have large visible defects in the face ply. The plies are similar thickness. I regularly use it for teak deck protection at the shipyard. It lasts a long time in the rain...ive never seem it delam. If its well sealed I would use it for construction.

Would be nice if you could hand pick the sheets.

Probably a good idea to over order , then use the bad looking sheets for template stock.

8. PAR

Steve, the big box stores don't usually carry door skin stock in the plywood or lumber section, but rather in the door and window section.

9. michael pierzga

Again..what is doorskin ? Good quality waterproof glue three ply ?

10. PAR

Door skin material is just as the name suggests, it's the stuff used to skin a hollow core door. It's 1/8" plywood, usually with a choice of hardwood faces, well it use to be and is available at the big box stores. In recent years it seems to have been replaced with a cheaper product, which is a paper thin hardwood face with a resin soaked paper type of backer. It's still 1/8" (or so), but nothing like the old door skin stock. I use it still for making templates of planking and other stuff, as it's cheap and easy to cut. I recently have used some polyester and 'glass sheets, which are equally as cheap, waterproof(ish) and available in different thicknesses, yet still a 4x8 sheet, with or without gel coat. 1, 1.5, 2 2.5, and 3 mm thicknesses are common. It's also available in 150 m rolls. They also sell a 4x8 sheet of 1/8" (maybe 3/32") 'glass panels, with a pebbly texture on one side, smooth on the other.

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

At Menards you need to order it, but shipping is free. Some door skin plywood is boil tested for outdoor exposure. Since the OP is in Duluth, he can get if from the local store.

12. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Ah, ok Gonzo, I will check about ordering it. The doorskin I used to buy was very nice and very cheap and as long as I ordered it along with some Bs1088 the shipping was ok. I do want real plywood.

Steve.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.