Dont fall overboard

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Frosty, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

An old soldier told me years ago that when he was on the Queen Mary en route to the Middle East in WW2, several MP's were no longer on board when they reached port. Apparently some among the thousands of soldiers on board resented the disciplinary regime, and threw them into the Indian Ocean.

2. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

I think I read somewhere that cruise ships are now required to have camera coverage along the entire perimeter of the vessel. Those private balcony suits were getting a reputation for being dangerous.

The book on how not to do it- http://www.carlhiaasen.com/books/books-skinny.html

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Robert Maxwell was a famous case of man overboard intrigue. Did the Mossad get him ?

4. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Barney Barnato, diamond tycoon was another famous mystery case as well - verdict suicide but his remains were found and buried...

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Somethinng not quite right here , In cant put my finger on it but I smell a rat.

MPs never go to war --its a shame they dont then we wouldnt have the war in the first place. QM was a hospital ship.

6. Mr Efficiency

The bloke who told me that was one of the "rats" of Tobruk, if I remember correctly. The Queen Mary was employed as a troop carrier, and the MP's were "military police" (provosts), not parliamentarians ! :p I believe there could have been as many as 15,000 troops on board, needless to say there would been quite a few MP's accompanying. Naturally, the official histories would be unlikely to have recorded this episode, and I wonder if their families would ever have known the truth. I don't think he made up the story.

7. Ike

Ike Senior Member

There are lots of stories like this, in every military. I can remember hearing one in the late 60's about the young Coast Guard LTJG who was C.O. of a Loran station on an tiny island in the Pacific being found dead. So the story goes every man on the island (about 20) claimed to have done it.

I have heard others from Vietnam and korea, and I'm sure plenty will come from Iraq and Afghanistan. I don't give them a lot of credence. i think the are "sea stories".

8. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

When I was in military, there were two types of MP or SP (shore patrol). Permanent and temporary. All petty officers were assigned as temporary MP-SP at one time or another and we hated it. Permanent duty military police was volunteer and attracted "police" personality types. "HASP" in Oahu Hawaii were roundly and universally hated. "HASP" = Hawaiian Armed Service Police, permanent duty detachment.

9. Mr Efficiency

Every man on the island claimed to have done it :confused: That I can't give any credence to ! I know the sun is very hot on some of those tropical islands, and heatstroke does funny things to people, but still.....:p

10. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

LMAO!

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

What the hell is LMOA will you Americans stop abbreviating . Its abbreviating MP that got us in this mess in the first place.

12. hoytedow

That stands for "Leave Marsupials On Australia".

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yes and YAAWOFS

14. hoytedow

Exactly, whatever that means.

15. Ike

Ike Senior Member

What credence? I said it was a "sea story". Sea stories by definition have no credence. The point is people tell these wild tales, that may have originally had some basis in fact, but by the time they have been told a thousand times they are in the realm of fantasy and science fiction. We all do it, especially when we've had a few too many nips.

As for abbreviations my favorite is TANSTAAFL.

Ps; Ok Ok, it means: "there are no such things as a free lunch. "

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.