Does 5200 adhere to concrete?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Kailani, Jun 17, 2014.

1. jonr

jonr Senior Member

I suppose one could screw the wood to stainless steel and then epoxy that to the concrete to get expansion rates that are close. I haven't tried it.

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Given that the epoxy will restrain the wood based on the stiffness of the concrete, you would have to have no strength in the wood (rotted) for the wood to actually tear.
    In this case the wood is reinforced by the concrete. Since the strength of the wood is not all that high (especially softwood) the wood will not tear apart.

Try it - you will like it.

Again, practical beats theoretical every time, especially if you are taking a simplistic view of the situation.

You know, you might look at the strength of wet wood, it goes down in a similar relationship as the swelling goes up. Again its doubtful that the entire block of wood will gain the same amount of water (I may be wrong in Florida or the tropics).

Bondo works just fine also, but a sharp blow in shear will cleanly break it loose from the concrete. Otherwise it will last a long time, at much lower strength than epoxy.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I have seen wood break at a glue bond. The glue tears the fibers off the rest. This is not theoretical. The data from the calculator isn't either, it is based on experimental research.

4. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

I give up.

Anything will break at a bond joint with enough force.

Absolutely true.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.