Do product designers exist in the yachting industry??

Discussion in 'Education' started by JIMMY11, Apr 14, 2004.

1. JIMMY11

JIMMY11 New Member

Any advice???

I'm currently studying Product design a Leicester university purley because my options in design would be left open (Better job prospects i thought) rather than studying a yacht design course. However designing kettles, toasters and mobiles, is starting to get a little tedius, and i have always wanted to design and build yachts or parts of.

I am a total yacht design virgin, with a degree (almost) in BA Product/ furniture Design. Maths is not a strong point so hull design is out the window. i am more interested is designing layouts or clever beds that dissapear.

could anyone tell me if a product/furniture designer has a place in the yachting industry, and if so what would be the best way to get cracking.

As a current student cash is in the serious '-' Zone, however we do get very long hols, one idea i had would be to catch a ride on one of the countless yachting trips, paying for the trip by working as a deckhand and hopefully learning more about yachts. With anylook beer would be a long way away and so spent cash would be kept to a minimum.

i would really appriciate any advice that anyone could give

thanks

James

Last edited: Apr 20, 2004
  2. Cedric BLANC

Cedric BLANC Guest

Hi, studying in central saint Martins college of art and design (london) on a foudation course. I am about to make an application for their famous BA in product design.
    I have the same ideas as you, wanting to design clever and stilish aspects of yacht. I am a keen sailor soon becoming instructor. I want to know if it is possible to join the southampton institute having no formal qualifications (I've not had a very typical education, most of it done in france).

3. vinceduf

vinceduf Junior Member

Yes, if you wish to talk to a nice guy who could give you nice advice, I suggest you could drop a mail to my good old friend Clifford Denn....... :cool:

Here is the website:

http://www.clifforddenn.com/

4. cristofa

cristofa Junior Member

James

"could anyone tell me if a product/furniture designer has a place in the yachting industry, and if so what would be the best way to get cracking."

I never understood this compulsion to pigeon-hole design activity ... if you are a good designer, you should be able to turn your hand to anything.

And the best way 'to get cracking' is to forget the fact that you are a fancy graduate, and get yourself a job in a yacht-builders workshop to learn the practicalities of yacht design at the sharp end.

atb ... Christopher (industrial design graduate, now boat designer)

5. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

There are hundreds of Product Designers in the yachting industry - they design products called "yachts".
    Come to think of it, what else would anyone design but "products"...?

Yet another example of the language being misused to find a new term for an old job. :)

6. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

People such as yourselves do get hired by stylists--those yacht designers who style the boat and design the interiors, but leave the naval architecture and engineering to the naval architects. Get some copies of the magazines Boats International, Showboats International, and the like, and you will see adverts for the interior design firms.

Eric

7. dansea

dansea Junior Member

I just read about this guy http://www.siewertdesign.com/Pages/about us.html in pro boat builder mag. he is an industrial engineer and was making a case for "product design " designing "parts " to fit marine needs , looks like some pretty fancy stuff , I believe this is in line with what Mr. Sponberg was talking about...

8. Cedric BLANC

Cedric BLANC Guest

OK merci beaucoup
    Thanks very much

Most Yacht designers come from engineering schools, but that WAS also the case with the automotive industry and now, the style of our cars is handed over to product designers and stylists. So I hope to see this happen in the sailing world.
    I talked to my tutor today and he said that I have to make myself known in the domain, phoning companies, going to boat shows...

best regards ,
    Cédric Blanc

9. ambas

ambas Junior Member

Have a lot of engineers became farmer
    Have a lot of designer became writer (one of them is my friend)
    Have a lot of doctor became artist
    sure enough have a lot of Industrial designer became boat designer

I agreed with Cristofa we are way to high when we call ourself "designer"
    If we bring our nose down,we will smell the flower on the ground.

If you think you will come to design only door nob or bedding sheet on the boat. Think again because if boat designer can design the whole boat I don't think they need to hire somebody to design door nob for them.

But If you want to start as stylist,3D Modeller,etc. Here is your place marine industry is big like an ocean. May be in some design firm have more product designer than boat designer.

One of my suggestion is from now on start call your self "Industrial designer" instead of "product designer" so people can easily fit you in marine world picture

GOOD LUCK with your new route both of you

BAS

Industrial designer grad.(in thailand) now Boat designer

10. Cedric BLANC

Cedric BLANC New Member

I have aplied both to Product and Arts, design, environment @ Saint Martins. I got a place in Arts, D & E (spatial) and still waiting for product design's answer.
    I don't know what I am going to choose (if I get the choice).
    Do you know if spatial design (compared with product) has the most oportunities in yacht design ?
    Thank you very much.
    Cédric

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.