Do polyethylene bilge pump hoses get you upset?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by sdowney717, Sep 15, 2014.

1. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

As in the argument that they will disintegrate in oil and gasoline as your pumping the oil and gasoline out from your oily bilge water?

2. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

I replaced an old small copper bilge pump line with this new large polyethylene smooth wall on the inside pool suction hose, for use with a Rule 3700 backup pump, and someone on another forum thought it a terrible idea, said would disintegrate, the 5200 would fail in the oil and gasoline and the hose dissolve as they are being pumped from your bilge. LOL!!!!

Hey I am not done yet, I will put some cable clamps on there to secure it to the inner hull. The pressure from the bilge pump is sure to blow this apart right quick!!!!, again LOL...

I know some of you will hate it cause it is not nautically expensive.

And of course it is above the waterline by about 8 inches.
    [​IMG]

3. Poida

Poida Senior Member

I am all for replacing components on a boat with non marine products if they will do the job but you have used a suction hose, the configuration of which is designed for flexibility, which in order to do has a thin inner wall and ribbing on the outside to prevent collapse.

Certainly not suitable for this application and I would not expect it to last long. There are rubber hoses on the market that would be more suitable that are not marine components.

Poida

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Where did you use 5200?

5. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Senior Member

It must be black 5200 where it goes thru the hull. I can't see if there is a flange.
    The only problem I've ever had with 5200 adhesion is when I wanted to remove something :)

6. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

Yes, that fitting cannot be removed, I tried. The polyurethane is an excellent adhesive. I also can not remove the hose from the fitting, I really tried hard.
    The polyurethane is gluing hose into fitting and fitting into hull.

I did really try hard because I decided to add a second one like this right next to it, so I now have two Rule 3700 'crash' pumps for backup to the Rule 2000 main pump which does have your standard thick walled hose. I ended up having to cut the hose and use a screwdriver to pry the pool hose out of the fitting.

Granted the hose is thin wall suction hose, but this is low pressure it wont bother that hose.
    The inside of the hose is smooth. This hose is quite flexible.
    If you know swimming pools then you are familiar with this hose.

I like to use stuff I already have on hand to save money, otherwise I would have bought some more standard hose. You could step on this hose and squash it, but that is not too likely they way my bilge is set up and the way the hoses run.

I will put some grey electrical conduit clamps on the hose to secure it so it wont move around.

This hose is stronger - tougher than the real cheap plastic bilge hoses they sell for bilge pumps.

I mean if this crappy hose is ok for bilge pumps, then this pool hose is all the better for bilge hose.
    http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...o?pid=12911&familyName=Shields Bilgeflex Hose

[​IMG]

7. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

This looks just like what I have used.

http://www.amazon.com/Poolmaster-33...11041274&sr=8-2&keywords=vacuum hose for pool

The hose I have is over 10 years old and was used on our pool till we got rid of the pool. Even after 10 years of use etc... it is like new condition. It sat coiled up on a hook outside or laid on the ground for over a decade without degrading. The white plastic ends did degrade and split from age and sun. I actually have another 40 foot hose here from a friends pool.

[​IMG]

My point though is if they sell cheap plastic bilge pump hose for bilge pumps with that corrugated interior, then this plastic smooth walled interior hose is just as appropriate for use. they are both polyethylene plastic hoses.

8. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Senior Member

Common corrugated plastic bilge hose isn't great either. Although I've never had one fail on me and it's been on every boat I bought, it always has droops that hold water and it has more sound.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.