Do boat designers need to be naval engineers

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by JordieS, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Sure does. I wonder how many babes will go for a swim (or bubble away in the hot-tub) at 30,000 feet and in a high banking turn?? :D:D

2. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Agreed, but the boat does not only float, but also should have some performance, practicality, safety, comfort...

[​IMG]
    How about this one? Supposed to be a yacht.

3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

What is the SOR...to look pretty/different..or to go fast only, or work totally? And that's the crux of it. What is the SOR... :)

4. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

No - that is a styling exercise...

5. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

It looks like a beached whale, bro. :)

6. Willallison

And one that look vaguely faimiliar... wonder where he got the idea from....:idea:

Attached Files:

7. Willallison

Is it really any different to this?

Attached Files:

• car.jpg
      car.jpg
      File size:
      24.4 KB
      Views:
  8. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

That one looks like someone left it on the dashboard of a car in summer.

9. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

The stylist " sells" the boat. The Naval Architect designs it.

Just consider Bassanni and Wally yachts.

He conceived the leading edge fashion styling...various naval architects made this fashion happen.

10. downunder

downunder Junior Member

Very successful blend of styling and NA's. :)

11. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Every one wants something differant !,gone are the days of one desgn fits all .And when you could have any colour you wanted as long as it was Black !!
    I sat in on a meeting with the boat designer presenting the company with a brand new model of a sports boat the company was going to introduce and corner the market with !or so they thought when he flipped the cover sheet and revealled a replica of a model we were already making just with a slightly differant top i said but its the same as what we got !! the office lady threw a book at me so i got up and walked out !!. The company closed down less than a year later becasue they had been making the same boats almost unchanged for 5 years and no one wanted a new 5 year old boat !!.
    The world has a problem with recycling old moulds and trying to reintroduce them every so often just with small changes and a spash of colour , How would you like buying a look alike car from the 1980s !! They were bad then and they would be even worst now .
    Im here in china and have a factory filled with old moulds they are making boats from and trying to pedle and wondering why not a lot is happening when another company has just introduces a new boat and have a years work booked up already .design style colour and fashion drive most markets these days .
    two shoes made and look exactly the same in every way ,one no markings the other say Nike which one you going to buy ??
    two cans come off the same filling line !one has no markings the other is stamped coca cola which one you going to drink ??
    And we are not into fashion names !! think again !!. a fancy name means everything !! our sense of values has changed like it of not !!. we really are not that differant just the name on the cloths we wear tells others where we's at brother !!:cool:

12. yipster

yipster designer

i wear imitation nikes and really not ashamed to say so, drink pepsi
    and "highway" cola too but you made your point tunnels; thats the world today

do boat designers need to be navel engineers? whatever the titel, i would think so yes
    i'm a designer, graphic designer, commercial designer, industrial desingner, art dirtector
    creative director, lately boat designer, renderer, elderly and what else, no NA tho
    than again met some designers, stylists as well as NA's you would wonder about too

yet the "stylists" i met came from client with styled hairdo's, little art education,
    good setting a brunch, casting models and sometimes "designing" stuff like this BMW
    you may think as designer i like style study's but pics like these start hurting my eyes
    maybe i'm getting to old but this is non sence even with that magic badge on
    [​IMG]

not meaning to say i dont like that idea of flushing with minimal trough hull fittings
    allready frowned on ike's piping story as i imagined one pipe doing it all seeing some piping
    on ships before, than again as said, i'm no NA nor a stylist, i'm an old designer :D

13. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

LOL, hot babes indeed. Definitely not airworthy though. Perhaps some high speed taxis, which would be fun. The only conceivable jacuzzi plane that would be anywhere near save would probably be a flying boat. Yes, there is such a beast (Hughes flying boat).

While in harbor you could easily pump some water into a jacuzzi & have quite a ball, then drain & take off for the next destination.

[​IMG]

14. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

A lot of Naval Architecture isn't intuitive and must be specifically learned, but style sucks people in to believing the vessel is robustly designed or maybe fast. Style is also necessarily limited on a boat to above the waterline, or really above the 'required' sheerline. Below the waterline you will need to learn some Naval Architecture or get some help.

Even above decks the stylist is constrained by the hull shape, mass distribution, deck function, windage and the practicality of use. It's also apparent that some 'stylists' have never considered the crew and their requirements for handling the vessel.

Functional design is attractive in it's own right, for example most naval vessels never had a stylist anywhere near them, their designs are entirely driven by practicality, yet they have their own functional beauty.

But we all have the ability to change a few lines here and there and maybe change the sheer of the bulwark or the slope of the cabin top well aware that subtle small things completely change the visual style of the boat.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012

15. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Hi Mike, you're right that style may influence people to think something is cool or fast. Yet, this is what most customers want. They want a nice ride and they want to feel cool. Period.

Only the fastest racers know, for example, that a light weight, ugly, stripped down hull will have the highest thrust to weight ratio to help them win an event. So, you must bump up the engine power to accomodate the cool styling requirements for a boat rec/luxury boat.

And is it just me, or are the coolest boats & cars are almost always driven by an old men with sun glasses? :cool: :p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.