diy trim/tilt ?

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by blaze_125, Jun 2, 2009.

1. blaze_125

blaze_125 I see the light!

I'm running a 80something Chrylser motor that does not have hydraulic tilt/trim. Every time I need to get the prop out of the water I gotta run at the back of the boat, unlock it, and yank the whole thing with the handle on the cover.

As anyone ever retro-fitted a tilt/trim system on a motor that does not have it?

2. Rangerspeedboat

Rangerspeedboat Senior Member

Anything is possible, if you throw enough money at it. Just thinking off the top of my head, maybe a convertable car hydralic motor and cylinders mounted on the motor...

I dont know alot about this.

3. blaze_125

Yeah lol, money can make soo many things happen :)
    I've seen hydraulic plates by different companies out there but they all run 400$ and up. That's probably just as much as my motor is worth...

4. Rangerspeedboat

Rangerspeedboat Senior Member

If you want it cheap and easy just tie a rope on the top of the motor, insteam of unlocking it just put something behind the motor to press up against. When you want to raise it, just pull on the rope and tie it off somewhere.

I would NOT suggest this though, however it might work. Just no reverse LOL.

5. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

A little gear motor and a jackscrew would work just as good and be cheaper and easier to DIY. The screw part would be stainless and the nut bronze. There are lots of 12V gear motors on the surplus market for very cheap. I bet you could do this for >$100 with some thought and work. Or you could cut to the chase and just get a linear actuator (surplus, of course).

Jimbo

6. blaze_125

It looks like this may just be what I'm looking for.

100$ for actuator
    10$ for 2 momentary switch
    VoilĂ  I'm done :D

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Just retro fit a tilt/trim cylinder onto the engine. It may have been available on that engine (or it's sisters), so pick up the parts and bolt them on. It's likely the holes and bosses are in place to mount the cylinder and related gear too. If the engine is too small to have had the tilt/trim option, then something as simple as a bell crank and lever mounted on a cable or a linear actuator could be fabricated.

8. blaze_125

I can't find anything when it comes to Chrysler outboards :(
    Most search end up with sites selling the tilt motor, but not the whole assy.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.