Dinghy Lines Plans

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Toby P, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Toby P

Toby P Junior Member

Hello,

I have only recently discovered this superb forum (having upgraded to a broadband connection I can surf for longer!) so forgive me if I repeat an earlier posting.

Does anyone know whether it would be possible to obtain lines plans/offsets for any existing racing dinghy designs. Specifically I would like drawings for boats like the Tasar, RS200/400, a NS14 etc., i.e. modern(ish) medium performance hiking dinghies. I am not trying to build one so don't need full construction drawings but would be very interested in comparing/analysing the lines of these proven designs.

I know I could measure them myself, but this is difficult to do accurately and I don't have access to many different classes. Do you think the designers would be willing to divulge this information - or has anyone else already measured them?

Any thoughts/help/leads gratefully accepted.

Toby

2. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Many class assocoations publish drawings, maybe the NS14 does?
    Commersial one design classes with one or a few builders will probably not publish drawings....

3. Toby P

Toby P Junior Member

There is an isometric view of the sections of a Tequila NS14 on the class website, but not a 2d view and no numbers. I guess I should ask them nicely.

Commercial one designs may not publish them, but as they are obtainable with a little patience by measuring them, it seems a little churlish not to. Has anyone asked them, I'm sure they are good people...

4. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Charged Particle

Most one design builders don't actually own the designs, just the right to build them.
    The designs typically are the copyrighted property of the designer, he licences the builder to build.
    Intellectual property and all that.
    This isn't churlish, just the way it is.
    SHC

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.