Diesel outboard motors

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by sottorf, May 13, 2012.

1. Lister

Lister Previous Member

Thank you for mentioning it. I saw it, it is quite absurd. It the same as a longer hull with a inboard/outboard engine. I don't see the relevance, same problem as an inboard plus a big one: It looks horrible! Again a marqueting stunt without any clear and proven advantage.
    A real outboard is quite a fantastic piece of engineering, they works fine, easy to repair, fantastic access, and mostly the engine can be tilted to have the prop out of the water. For me this is the ultimate marine engine for small yacht. Sad they turn to fast, I was hopping for a lower speed, and a better transmission ratio. But beside that, nobody beat them in price/weight/power/dependability/friendliness to maintain

2. bearmac

bearmac New Member

First post

Hi,

Don't know if this thread is still alive, but it came up on a search for deisel outboards. I've just started to design a 27ft cat, and as yet haven't seen an outboard system that appeals to me. I like the concept of two small units for safety and spares rather than one motor, and two would probably make manouvering easier.

I found this range of Klaxon OBM's, and particularly like the LH series with 1050 and 1450 long shafts. No idea where they're made or how much they cost, but intend to investigate further. Has anyone got one or know anything about them?

Cheers,

Tony

http://www.klaxondieseloutboards.com/category/outboards/

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Hell's bells, I feel like I've just been transported to an alternate universe looking at that ! Bongaree is on Bribie Island, I have never heard of this stuff at all, some look like glorified weed-whackers, others not so much. Have to find out more, imo.

4. Mr Efficiency

Seems to be a Chinese product, I'm not sure what leg and lower unit has been used for, e.g the 40 hp model, probably something in use for petrol outboards as well, I'd say.

5. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

25 Hp, over 200 pounds and no torque rating...

6. bearmac

bearmac New Member

Heavy, but...

Yes Mr Efficiency, they are Chinese - I did a search on Ali Baba, found the manufacturer, sent them a request for a price, and got a reply from Klaxon. Having investigated importing from China before, this looks like the classic 're-branding' they told us about at a seminar - change the name and charge 1000% profit!

But Tom, my idea was to use them instead of an inboard - mount them on a hinged bracket near the stern and rotate them when needed. The long shaft could be raised, lowered and braced with a removable pole, allowing the motors to be well out of the water.

The concept really appeals - plus's:-
    - lot of torque
    - big 13" blade for distance not speed
    - single cylinder (few parts, easy maintenance)
    - electric start with rope backup
    - generator and pump takeoff options
    - low tech
    - safe cheap available fuel

negatives:-
    - heavy (by comparison to same size)
    - noisy
    - smelly
    - probably not very resistant to corrosion

That said, I had a Kawasaki Z200 single cylinder thumper for almost 20 yrs, and it was so easy to maintain - it never saw the inside of a workshop once! (and I'm not mechanically minded - just a cheapskate). Don't know about the noise, but suspect the dull thumping might not be as annoying as a high pitched scream over a long period. The motor could probably be further protected with rust-proofing and regular maintenance. The other thing I'd need to check is if the motor could travel horizontally witout leaks (the oil). Still... a long way off yet - got to get the boat first lol.

7. Mr Efficiency

I can certainly see there is scope for something with such a long leg ( there are apparently a number of length options)on a catamaran, it could be mounted centrally without the need for a fairing ahead of it, as it is not going to generate much drag at sedate speeds, by the looks of it.. The problem is how to raise it out of the water fully when not needed.

8. bearmac

bearmac New Member

I'm working on it - hinged frame and adjustable braces. But I don't know if the motor can be 'stored' in a horizontal position (without oil leaks, etc.)

9. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Perhaps the old fish boat solution of mounting an outboard , in a well where it can be raised when not in use might be a good compromise?

The engine weight is further fwd , the engine wont submerge , and a simple door will end leg drag and fouling. The engine is easy to service, being aboard.

The ability to angle an engine when underway could make long endurance cat cruising on one engine efficient as single engine rudder drag could be dialed out.

10. bearmac

bearmac New Member

Hi Fred

My need for this is a long way off, but I'd like to keep the investigation going. When I showed the photo to a client who used to service power tools, he suggested having a closer look at the connection to the shaft. He thought it might be possible to mount the engine permanently and simply hinge the shaft only. In my ignorance and naivity, this sounds like a perfect solution - and with a generator on one engine and a high pressure pump on the other - wow!

11. dskira

dskira Previous Member

12. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Subaru makes a small 4 cyclinder opposing diesel Boxer engine and have been selling them(in cars)in Europe for the past 2 years. Boxer engines are known for smooth, vibration free operation (gas) and are lightweight. This diesel is same size as their 2.5 L gas engines and about the same weight so small and light. Tried to buy one here but no way and no dealer even has one. I have not heard or read any complants about it. About 150 hp. 35 MPG It could be made into a weird shaped outboard being 36" wide about `16" deep and 14" tall.

13. sottorf

sottorf member

14. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

I hope that end up in production as all the military would by them
    cant wait to see the gearbox that hangs onto 300 diesel horsepower???

15. jonr

jonr Senior Member

I noticed that the new Cessna 182 (a small airplane) has switched to diesel. Size, weight, reliability and sustained high output are certainly concerns there.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.