Diesel outboard motors

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by sottorf, May 13, 2012.

1. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

It is not that. On many boats if you could free up that interior space by moving engines out, the interior space would be greatly increased. But few want gasoline engines on crusing boats long term for safety issues. Also the ease of repowering or fix engines when they are outboards. For coarse nothing is perfect, But I would love to free up my engine room. and just putting them overboard. They would have to be some monster engines.

2. masalai

masalai masalai

On energy and the future, - - there is a high level conference happening in Adelaide, South Australia
    http://www.moneymorning.com.au/2012...man-in-oil-and-gas-say-in-adelaide-today.html
    - - What Will The Most Important Man in Oil and Gas Say in Adelaide Today? by Dr. Alex Cowie on 14 May 2012

- - it is several days duration and tomorrow morning you will find link #2 #3 and so on, may be found here as the convention proceeds . . . HERE:- http://www.moneymorning.com.au/ - - - - - that is for the essays by Dr Alex Cowie...............

It is sort of relevant to this thread, (well sort of), and since the conference is but 3 or so days duration, I hope nobody minds this brief "invasion" on a topic that has global implications and global players presenting their views... (like Mr Oil, the minister for oil in Saudi Arabia)...

3. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Problem is that, depending on the hull form and waters it gets used in, hanging the engine off of the back in typical O/B location may not work at all well. That's sort of why sail drives exist. Keep the prop under water and keep the engine more or less dry.

Mas' issues with reduction gearing are another reason not to do it. At least with a conventional inboard diesel it's not hard to swap the g/box over for another if you need to, ditto props within the restrictions of space in the prop aperture, hull clearance etc.

PDW

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Missed the all important bit about the outboards trimming up all the way out of the water. No more diving on dirty props, change a prop 2 minutes, remove engine and send for repair in 1 hour or less.

5. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Exactly. That's why i went with outboards. They also weigh less.

6. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I am talking more like engine pods like outboards, but are much bigger. They need to go underwater 3 or 4 feet, yet engine is 4 feet above water. So you talking about an engine 8 feet long, trimmable in a pocket. But they can still be removed with a crane or be repaired outside. The concept of having to cut your boat open to remove an engine is dumb.

7. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  8. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

They're around, I see then at all the boat shows. But that is not what I am talking about, that is like a bolt on hull extension. You still have problem accessing engine. For that you install I/O drives in your boat and be done with it.

9. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

A Diesel engine mounted outside the hull in a box on a bracket is at "all the boat shows"?

Or are your refering to "Armstrong" brackets with outboats mounted?

Or a Diesel powered I/O with the engine inside the hull?

10. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

A Diesel powered I/O with the engine inside the extension to the hull As shown in the pictures.

11. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

So basically an upsized sail drive. Sure, I can see that working in an engineering sense but either you go to hydraulics or you need 2 sets of right angle drives or you have a vertical shaft motor and a single right angle drive.

What HP engine and displacement boat are you thinking of?

WRT cutting the hull open, this is standard practice on big vessels. That's why they have designed-in soft patches. However they don't have to worry about 'yacht finish' fitouts.

PDW

12. masalai

masalai masalai

May be a neat installation, but the propellers, and in this case most of the leg, STILL remains IN-THE-WATER... :eek: defeating half the benefit... This is an issue for all cruising catamarans - Outboards (diesel) can still be installed in pods on the inside of the hulls and achieve all the benefits of ease of removal for major servicing, propeller changeover and also keep the lower leg (including the propellers) out-of-the-water when at anchor or under sail...

13. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I am talking for all the way up to a 60' + yacht. A vertical shaft motor to a right angle drive. Just a very large outboard. I have already seen v8 chevy engines converted to outdrives why not diesels. They can hang within swim platform.

I had this idea before the zeus pods can out. The pod drive idea basically is copying idea, but has problem of being more at risk from underwater flotsam.

14. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

So, you're talking about getting the hull designed around hanging a massive amount of weight as far aft as it's possible to go, right?

Because if I suggested this as a retrofit to the hull I'm building, I think the designer wouldn't even bother to reply to me.....

PDW

15. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I didn't say it would work... Just that it would be nice to get the engines out of the engine room on a large boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.