Diesel engines compared

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by Unionjack, Dec 3, 2007.

1. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

2. drnick

drnick Junior Member

fred, this engine project gets more expensive by the minute!! i did come across the boatdiesel website and have gone as far as becoming a user but i struggle to get so excited about these engines enough to pay:) i spend some time debating the merits of modifying old porsche engines to get more from them especialy the quad cam v8, but pushrod oil burners.. im now looking at either the cummins 3.3 or perkins 3.0 m65, fast turbos dont seem like such brilliant news for turning my hydraulic pump. no replacement for displacement eh?

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

I prefer and fit the Cummins 4b or same 239 disp John Deere
    Two reasons for this
    Foremost neither manufacturer stipulates what rpm range the engines operate in, and YANMAR REQUIRES a certain high speed range or they will not warranty their engines
    and secondly, they produce lots of torque, the 80bhp deere and cummins are actually more powerful than the high speed 130 yanmar
    I fitted the 4b to 55 deck salon and we never needed all the power available ever The economy was amazing and with her 48 foot wl sat on 8.5 knots and topped 10
    the deere has one advantage, it is wet liner rather than bored in the block

4. invicta

invicta New Member

Comparing Diesel Engines

I have to replace my current GM 453 due to it being unservicable and I am looking at the following:

Yanmar 235HP
    Cummins 235HP
    MTU 210HP

Any thoughts out there to the pros and cons of these motors? Any assistance will be greatlfully appreciated.

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

What model of Yanmar do you mean ? the 6lpa?

I got 2 of them. If thats what you got theres some stuff you really need to know.

I know nothing of the others.

6. invicta

invicta New Member

Yanmar

Mate it is the 4LH I am looking at

7. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

stick with Cummins, their backup is unbelievable
    You are looking at a grunter compared with hand grenade rated revver Yanmar are hard to get (onto) that is mount extra driven things like pumps , alternators etc
    True story, when I was a cummins field service man in 70,s I knew of two v8 engines bought 8 years before launch, on launch day we went down and stamped em date in service, warranty started from there Brisbane has a good Cummins branch Darra I think You can buy the non electronic eng really cheaply good luck
    Stu

8. invicta

invicta New Member

lazeyjack - thanks heaps for that. I've heard some great things about the Cumins and replacement parrts down the track is certainly a very big consideration. Have a good one

9. MarkC

MarkC Senior Member

Fast Fred said:

READ www.boatdiesel.com

What he said! - honestly the info about fuel filters is enough to pay $25 for.

other than that - buy german MTU or VW diesel. (Vielen dank Herr Diesel)

10. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

buy german MTU or VW diesel.

Or the Yanmar conversions of BMW,

BUT if you thought Volvo parts were insanely priced visit the parts dept of the German base engines !!!

FF

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.