Did a dream got shattered?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by BertKu, May 16, 2010.

1. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

oh yeah --i was going to mention earlier--electric motors are difficult to get a lot of range from- but have you considered diesel electric? as they do on some tugs and on subs...i think the best way is to use a small high torque elecrtric motor- you wont need much to run at displacement speed. you wont be able to run electric 100% of the time but you will greatly extend your range... how this could work is- you take a golf cart motor of around five to ten hp high torque running off 36 volts. you attach a gearing sprocket of some type to your drive shaft say gear it 5:1 -chain driven. when your gearbox is in neutral you can switch to electric. shut off the diesel- run the motor striaght off the drive shaft. also you could if necessary install a second alternator to your engine and fast charge two sets of 36 volts. that way you may be able to run a couple hours on diesel and around the same on batts.
    get car batts not deep cycles. regular lead acid works best for fast charging. just dont run them down fully. you wont be able to go fast on DE but its a good comprimise for propulsion. wiring it may get tricky - you will also need a controller- but if your not docking with electric you dont need reverse if out on the open ocean.

2. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Hi Tugboat, try them, Odyssey. I would n't use car batteries, except by some car manufacturers, when they use the latest, which are dry sealed lead Acid batteries, like KIA for the 4 x 4 Sportage.

http://www.odysseysoutheast.com/pc1800-battery.php

Please note the 50Kw electric water cooled motor.

If you mean, to buy just some lead for placing into a keel, I would suggest you speak to a battery manufacturer or a metal scrap dealer.
    Bert

3. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Hi Grant,

No, just for the local coastal waters. I have seen the world.

But it is like the ABS in a car, normally a carefull driver does not need it, however, if you get a situation, you wish you had. So is it also here at the coast. Probbably I will never be rolled, but should I have a situation that I do get up side down, I wish I had a good keel. I am struggling in were to place the batteries in such a way that they cannot be a danger should the boat really have a rough time. Odyssey PC 1800 are quite nice, but one does not get them here in the country.

The local authority suggested to place sealed high pressure pvc pipes in the hull to stay floating.

Are you coming to the world soccer champs here? I bought two shirts for 1/4 of the price then in Holland. I hope they give the Germans value for their money. I don't eat and like Hamburgers.

It is a pity that the only local yachtbuilder passed away in December during a hartoperation. He was a good friend of mine. On his yard I would have made the 28 feeter. Now I have to down size it to 7,4 meters to make it at my home.

Yes, language is sometimes a problem. We had to learn 5 in those days. Sorry for mixing a few words up sometimes.

When Jan van Riebeeck left Rotterdam in 1650's I am convinced they did not have computer programs in that time, thus somehow my manual calculations will work out. Although I do use a computer program called "PROP.CALC". The results are sometimes cute. Everybody says , low r.p.m at the prop is the best, in that program I have to go at 4000 r.p.m. (certain electro motors run at 6000 - 8000 r.p.m. )

Bert

4. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

implied by you.
    I have read most of them , very interesting.
    Maybe the credit card system is not the ultimate system, but this site would be a better site, if the amount of direct insults, could be reduced. I am honoustly convinced that more people would come aboard.

It is so easy for anybody to insult somebody else.

I could also start like: example: "Ape or Apex1 or whatever name he is hiding his true identity behind" . It is so easy to do that. So lets respect each other.

By the way audience, Bertie instead of Bert, is the way the Germans are running down a person by adding "ie" to a christian name.

Bert

5. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Bert. I really think your boat wont be safe on 100% electric power. Batteries will let you down eventually. The idea of diesel electric is a good one IMO.

1 person likes this.
  6. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Hi dennis,

I agree with you, but all my cars are diesels, KIA, X-TRAIl, Colt. They smell too much to my liking.

I like to experiment whether I could do it full electric, without endangering my or anybodies life. I will have to pass the stringest check by the local port authority in anyway.

I will have two sets of totally independent motors and circuits, batteries. Also I will have a small storm jib. For that reason I still need a small mast and keels.

Bert

7. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

I hate the smell and sound of engines on a yacht too. But I still have them on my sailing boats for when the primary source of propulsion fails or runs out, which it does. Sail and wind being more reliable that electric yacht propulsion and batteries.

8. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

Scale / Design / Ballast / Egos / Copyright / Electric / Diesel-Electric / and now Smell and Sound. This thread has it all.

;)

9. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Hi Sheetwise,

I did visited your town years ago, when you had still a zenerdiode factory, which was at that time sold to the company I worked for. Lovely town. The steaks offered at one of the get together, was the biggest I have ever eaten in my life. Don't you worrie, South Africa has some very big steaks, but those at that time. the best. Now you can add zenerdiodes and steaks to your list.
    Bert

10. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Don't be stupid, Apex is Richard, everybody knows that since he sign Richard.
    And you BERTKU? not anonymous? Bertie who cares.
    And you don't have an audiance, don't kidd yourself.
    And why on heck you start a fight? you need something to do with your life. You are off topic, so please get back to the matter at hand and stop playing the wise guy which you are not Bertie.
    And apologize to Richard. That will be nice. And to me too.
    Daniel

11. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

First at all, people like you and Richard like to insult other people, but if somebody else give an insult to you, you can't take it.

Secondly, you don't have to read my thread, nobody forces you to do so.

Thirdly you don't have to answer this thread.

Apologizing for what? To apologize to people who enjoy it to run others down?
    Did I in anyway insulted any of the two of you first?

Actual I though it was quite cute the way Richard was getting back at what he asked for.
    Bert

12. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

It is my name, but I did not know how many names starting with Bert was on the net, thus I used the first 2 letters of my surname.
    Yes, I could put my full name on the net. I have done that already. But I am now becoming very concerned that this site cannot control abusive people.

Bert

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

Would you have bothered to read some of my threads you would most likely have found that other members enjoyed my contribution and assistance.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-building/how-make-mold-16-boat-32840.html#post366463
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/projects-proposals/help-regarding-yacht-tourism-32549.html
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/powerboats/diesel-boat-heaters-32402.html
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/pr...ller-summary-30695-post334462.html#post334462
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/di...ever-full-power-glazing-32780.html#post366917

But you have choosen to fight a dumb fight....................

14. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Richard, alias Apex1, long before I started to get irritated by you, you saw chance to insult me. Don't try to put the wool over the audience eyes.

I told you, that I will ignore you in the future, stop sending insulting private messages. I told you I will ignore you in the future.

Bert

15. Grant Nelson

Grant Nelson Senior Member

Darn guys, and I was just thinking we where getting back to a civil discussion of possibilities, not personalities and who is right and who is wrong.

Boats are about comprimise, so can we just get past who is right, since there is no right and wrong, only shades of gray, and have some fun trying to live Bert's dream with him - sure he may not seem realistic at times, but who is to say he will not eventually figure it all out anyways... he is just looking for ideas, knowledge, etc. and it is fully in his rights to take what he wants and ignore what he wants.

Lets not get all pissy because he has not read all our post carefully, and accepted them with out question. Where would we be if everyone was that way.

Lets just enjoy the flow, accept our differences, beg politely to differ, and continue to offer possibilities for the pleasure of being creative, think outside the box, be helpful, etc.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.