Designing a symmetrical hull under heel

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Justinet, Dec 22, 2018.

1. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I see, you do not talk about the "metacenter" but about the "false metacenter". But you will agree with me on what to say " metacenter is the point on the center plane of the boat directly above the center of buoyancy" It is not clearing up the issue. (Be careful with Wikipedia, it is not uncommon to find inaccuracies in its definitions, for a naval architecture technician it is preferable to look for other sources).
    As the metacenter is not the subject of this thread, I am going to stop intervening in such a pleasant conversation.
    By the way, merry christmas.

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Skipping references to metacenter, etc, the righting moment arm of a hull which is a portion of a body of revolution with the axis of revolution parallel to the waterplane will be the (distance from the CG to the axis of revolution) * sine (heel angle).

Corrected.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Something is missing in that equation, do not you think?

4. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Correct. It should have been righting moment arm. I'll correct it. Thanks.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.