Designing a boat at age 12

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by starling718, Jan 11, 2006.

1. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Things are tough in West Oz these days.:eek:

Trouty if any of this is true, write about it and make a million dollars - I'm on the edge of my seat. Much more interesting than my own boring life.:cool:

2. daedong

daedong Junior Member

What an intellectual thread, I had to go back to the home page a few times just to make sure I was in a boat forum :D :D

3. ber1023

ber1023 Junior Member

can you sail? you should have world class experience in sailing to try it. try sailing in 40 knts, its hard even for me

4. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

So what you want to sell?

5. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Oh sailing not selling!! sounds the same to me! Windy!!

Actually I didn't realise anybody on here actually went sailing, it is after all only a BOATING forum, what's Boats got to do with it? do with it? do with it?

6. confused

confused New Member

I am new to this forum. I am 13 years old, I am about to build my first boat. I have the engine worked out, it's all pretty simple. I'm going to use a steam engine, or watever you want to call it. The engine is just a fire built in a firebox (2 coffee cans) heating a curled up pipe that has both it's ends sticking in the water. It works. If you don't believe me, get on youtube, look up pop-pop engine (stupid name, I know) and they have some videos of that exact type of engine powering a model boat. So the reason I chose this engine is because it is very simple, no moving parts, and if it can push a model boat, how come it can't push a full sized boat? (of course, the engine would have to be bigger than those model ones) My question is, Will my boat work? I currently live in Nevada, and I am going to wait until I move to Texas to build it. I have the ribs and spine of the boat designed, and even the whole hull of it, I just need to know more on boat building. I am going to make it out of wood, and I am having trouble on deciding how to shape the wood. I want to soak it in water, like one of my great uncles did, (that's what my dad told me he did anyway). Will it work? and also, how do I hold the wood in position so it drys into the shape I want it to? I was thinking about tying it with rope to hold it. (like a bow and arrow), I have a huge horse trough that I could use to soak the boards in. Please tell me if my ideas will work.

7. kach22i

kach22i Architect

They had one of those in the old Cub Scout book back in 1968, I never got to build one.

Is it too late?:)

8. masalai

masalai masalai

confused, the best way to find out is a) to see if you can find evidence of it having been done before, and B) HAVE A GO YOURSELF..... some things scale up and some do not seem to....

9. confused

confused New Member

what do you mean?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  10. confused

confused New Member

oh i see...

11. confused

confused New Member

thanks. I got the boat off the movie The Tenth Kingdom, (the one the guy named acorn stole)

12. confused

confused New Member

they called it a garbage barge... didn't look like a barge to me, looked like a dory kinda

13. confused

confused New Member

need any boat's designed? (80ft and under)

14. confused

confused New Member

I only have $230, so it would be a waste of money to build a boat that doesn't work, I guess I could fill the horse trough with water, let a sample board soak with water about a week, and see if I could wrap a rope around it so it drys into the position I want it to, if not, then I could try another method of holding it in position until it is dry.

15. confused

confused New Member

I will be using 1in by 4in by 8ft white wood boards in construction. is that a good choice? (they're at home depot)