Affordable Gaff Cutter Build : 12-19'

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by qroberts, Jul 31, 2010.

1. qroberts

qroberts New Member

I'm looking to build myself a boat I've wanted ever since I started sailing as a child.

I'm in love with aesthetics of gaff cutters but pre-built boats with this rig run ridiculously expensive compared to similarly sized craft.

I like the look of Memory 19's and Ebihen 16's but kits for the former are extremely expensive and I'm having trouble finding a price on the latter.

I am by no means a master carpenter and my tool selection is not extensive (but may be augmented) so I'm looking for a simple build in the 12'-19' range (pre cut kit would be ideal) that can accomodate a gaff-cutter rig.

I've sailed opti's, turnabouts, lasers, 420's, osprey, americans, mercurys, sonars, ensigns, rhodes, mariners and hobies in all conditions (even a tropical storm once...gave me a nice scar) so I'm not concerned about being able to handle any manner of boat under any wind conditions.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. WhiteDwarf

WhiteDwarf White Dwarf

Try Scruffie Marine's Secret 20

Secret is a light weight and shallow draft gaff cutter.

The bilge seems to be strip planked, but the rest is plywood.

She is claimed to be pretty slippery too.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.