Design For A Small Outboard Fast Cruiser

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ILHEU, Mar 26, 2008.

1. ILHEU

ILHEU Mr

As can see , it is not easy for me to build the boat I would like but I do want to try.I think , and in my opinion , it does not need to be a full planning hull , instead of that I can get a good compromise hull with a 45º to 50º bow entry and 13º to 14º of deadrise and I will not need to much power to get a reasonable speed to get there and off there.As someone said the security of a boat depends very much of the person that goes at the helm.I know, in Portugal is very dificult for me to build a boat even a small one it is needed to many burocracy papers.

best regards

2. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Tom.

Dover - Calais is 22 miles, St. Malo - Poole maybe 100 miles, but you'd be suprised at the small craft that cross to the Channel Islands. As far as I can make out Category B boats are supposed to handle 4 metre waves and Category C up to 2 metres but, if you get caught out in bad weather, you do the best you can.:D :D

In many cases, it's the crew that flakes out before the boat.:eek: The aft cockpits in the DE 23 and DE25 are self bailing and I would make the lip 6" high to protect the cabin as well as fitting a substantial door. The space under the sole and cockpit is a sealed bilge, which I shall fill with flotation foam.

The Tolman Skiff guys are confident of their vessels and certification in the EU is now only necessary, so as to get a CE mark and sell a self build boat before 5 years have passed. I certainly agree with you that governments do not have our best interests at heart. A well found ship with a crew who seriously check the weather forecast before setting out, is a sensible start to a day of enjoyment.

I wish Mark well in his future employment and hope the hangover wasn't too bad.:D :D

Best of luck,

Perry

3. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

ILHEU,

An interesting comment you made about excessive paperwork in Portugal. You should not have anymore than the UK, as the EU is now in charge of our lives. You should be free to build whatever you want, and get an RCD exemption certificate. You could also take boathandling and navigation courses to learn how to be safe on the water, however in England they are not required by our laws, yet! In Madeira, it might be required by local law. Permits for everything.:)

As for speed, I would give you a week before you start wishing you could open the throttle to 30 knots on flat water. Speed rocks. About 20 years ago, I crewed the slow rescue boat during a few summers. Even the sailing boats were quicker than us and they'd be on their second pint in the bar by the time we got back. Build a quick one. You won't regret it.

Pericles

4. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Perry,

Ii sent you a PM.

5. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

ILHEU,

Another boat you should consider is the Bluejacket designed and built by Tom Lathrop. http://www.bluejacketboats.com/. It has a high freeboard and the broken sheer you are looking for together with two portholes on each side and I really should have thought of it earlier. Tom's website is full of information about his design process and you will learn a tremendous amount. :) :) :) :) :)

Regards,

Pericles

6. ILHEU

ILHEU Mr

I do have been there and he as very interestings designs,in my opinion.I think,the broken sheer is there to give more inside space.I do have done another skecth without the broken sheer and if I try to draw the boat,what considerations should I take,since it is a small power sea boat?

7. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

ILHEU,

The message from Manie B and from all of us is that you should buy a set of plans. Remember what you wrote in your first post "Since I do not have any experience in boat building or drawing,".

Draw the general outline as much as you want! It is the construction process that matters. The thickness of the marine ply, the shapes to cut out, the joints, the routing of the cables, the wiring diagrams, the engine HP, all the measurements that ensure the boat you build, will perform as you want it to. These items and instructions are what you buy.

This advice is the most sensible you will receive. We would not want your grieving relatives posting here and blaming us, for not trying to persuade you to take the safest option.:) There are old sailors, there are bold sailors, there are no old, bold, sailors!

Take care,

Pericles

8. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Safety offshore

The final "Parting Shot" article on page 120 in the latest edition of

http://www.proboat-digital.com/proboat/20080405/

is about stability requirements for recreational craft that venture offshore. Well worth a read.

Pericles

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.