design feedback

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ieagreg1, Oct 8, 2005.

1. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

This boat is teaching you a great deal in the flesh. It is worth it's weight in gold. After you find the short comings, I am sure the girls wiil love it to death. Knowledge and happiness in 1 boat. Put a VHF radio in for safety and the girls will MAYBE, see you for meals.------------ I am assy. a 2 seat gentleman's racer. 19' X 4.5' constant 28 degree deep V with a vertical bow. Compare notes next spring - summer. It has the hull form of a small Thorney Craft PTB, (British).

2. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

I thought I'd posted a reply on this thread, but obviously I didn't... The outdrive should have some trim mechanism, if it doesn't or it's at max travel, try moving some weight right up to the front and see if that makes much of a difference. Run-abouts usually were in-borad mid-enginged boats, so many tend to have a lot move volume at the bow than modern powerboats (aft-engined). If you can't move enough ballast, then fit the trim-tabs, but tabs are not usually added to a stern-drive boat to get it planing.

BTW, cyclops, are you sure you mean 28 degrees??? 0 to 8 for a run-about, 18 to 22 deep V, but no more than that.

by the way, there is a good discussion on design features at

http://forums.boatdesign.net/showthread.php?t=8468

and

http://forums.boatdesign.net/showthread.php?t=8468&page=5

for a picture of a nice deep V varying deadrise hull.

Tim B.

3. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

It is a 28 constant V. Extreme, yes. I decided I wanted something that did not buck back on a choppy day. 350 Chev, a trans, shaft and a prop followed by a DEEP spade rudder to stop the bow from hooking. I will line up a Jersey Skiff driver for the first couple of flights. They are the drivers with the best steering and handling reflexes alive.

4. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

5. YankeeBoater

YankeeBoater Junior Member

That's your first cut? Very impressive! :) How did you model the shape and get such smooth, accurate cross sections?

An aesthetic comment - the transom I agree with making it less semicircular, and I think would also look nicer with the vertical being less vertical - sloping either forward or back. There should also be some taper in width of the transom down towards the waterline. From the transom forward the boat is so sleek - you need to match that to some extent at the transom as well for the styling lines on the whole boat to flow together well - right now it looks too abrupt, like a different boat right at the transom.

All that wood looks beautiful - cannot beat wood as a material for elegant appearance. :)

6. ieagreg1

ieagreg1 Junior Member

Just a quick update, the stern drive is gone! Never again will I deviate from my original idea (to save money). I'm converting to an inboard. And yes I'm going tone down the tumblehome. I will post picks when its complete. And thank you all for your replies.

7. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

8. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

uuups answered to the wrong thread :)

9. ieagreg1

ieagreg1 Junior Member

update

Here's a couple of photo's taken earlier this summer. Your suggestions made all of the difference. She is now sleek and smooth.
    Than you all!
    Anymore suggetions?
    She should be complete spring of 07'

Attached Files:

10. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Looks great! I like the the windshield. Do you have a better picture. Where did you find it and the chrome rub strip. I'm in the midst of a similar project.

11. ieagreg1

ieagreg1 Junior Member

LP,
    The windshield frame is a riviera reproduction I bought off of ebay. I'll take some close up pictures. The stainless is from a 36' Chris Craft that is being salvaged. West marine offers a hollow back stainless at a resonable price but if you can find an old chris that is being broken up that's your best bet. The solid backed stainless I'm using cost me about 50 bucks. Do you have any pictures of your project?

12. Wayne Grabow

Wayne Grabow Senior Member

You have a beautiful boat. I think that you have received some excellent comments, but, in the end, it is your boat, your bit of artistry. I notice that you commented twice that you wished it were more of a deep "V" design. If you plan on repeating the build of this boat multiple times, you might want to change that. Of course, a deep "V" will take more power. What is the angle of deadrise at the transom? I like the tumblehome and deck camber but find an overall elliptical shape more pleasing than your almost circular transom. Changing the deadrise (which will also affect the bow shape) and relative dimensions of the transom may be more than you want to undertake. It is a nice design already. Your posting has encouraged me to get back to work on a runabout design I have been considering. Thanks.

13. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Ieagreg1,

Sorry to take so long in getting back to you. Here are some pics. Hope to get it wet this summer, but I'm afraid the finances will make me wait another season.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.