Design Concept

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Marakorpa, Apr 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

To be fair, the guy was right in the Biblical account of the 'Arks' dimensions as God gave them in fine detail to Noah.

But where the guy runs off the rails is to states that " Many modern ships have similar proportions" as if it was some kind of divine theorem. He then makes the silly statement "Later shipbuilders would learn only by hard experience that such a ratio can accommodate these stresses." shows he is trying to impress us with the wisdom of the dimensions, when in fact there is no substance to the assertion.

I think this must be another 'convert the sailors' thread, like the one where some obtuse pencil sketches with a biblical text were posted as a valid topic for discussion.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/block-island-cowhorn-49405.html

I don't mind, but it makes the moderators job very arduous.

2. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

So what?

Given the whole thing is a fable anyway, any quoted dimensions are equally fabulous......

GIGO yet again.

PDW

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

A fair point, but all fables are based on shreds of life experience.

What we may have in those dimensions is of some archeaological interest to students of the gopherwood boat builders of 2000 bc.

Besides, the scientific 'method' of discussion requires accuracy of observation, so I am happy to acknowledge the authors correctness in quoting his sources, even though his conclusions are illogical.

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

This thread is making splendid progress, do carry on ! I can see the marketing possibilities already in mini mock-up Noah's Ark rental houseboats, just need a few more novelty themes to make up a fleet. Kids on holiday would love this kind of thing !

5. Marakorpa

Marakorpa Junior Member

Insulting pack of !@#$% ain't ya!

I am not going to show my ignorance in a debate on the comments of two, obviously biggoted folk.

You can find the same information on non-religious sites. But I suppose you will reckon that thaty are 'Hypnotised' by religion as well.

http://www.creationism.org/patten/WindsorNoahsArkGeometry.html#_Toc395518651

A troll, hey! If you think that , don't even bother to add you bile here.

Now back to the serious, and friendly ones.

One thing about writing stories of the Outback, I can still remember the good old Aussi ethic...GIVE A MAN A FAIR GO.........It appears that there are some here that aren't Australian, and have no idea what an ethic is.

6. Mr Efficiency

Forgive them, they know not what they do !

7. Marakorpa

Marakorpa Junior Member

I used to serve of the Volunteer Coastal Patrol as Sub-leutenant, In Coffs harbour, at a time when we had our Operations up above the Yacht Club. I was trained by Jock Gibson dec. who spent his own time training Radio Operators, and assisting such organisations in setting up their unit. Jock had a boat called 'Tranquiliser" It was there that I found that boaties, not all boaties but a large number of boaties , had the impression that they were William Bligh, Matthew Flinders and Captain Cook after one little slab of bottled beer.

The weekend flotilla of flotsom and jetsom, like beer cans and bottles from these men of the sea, compined with the egos of the other flotsom and jetsom who tried to resemble a "Queen Mary Captian in their tinnies and tiny sail driven vessles, when they would bother to set sail, that is, were a comedy act on their own.
    '
    One had to 'Troll' the air waves for those that interupted the Silent Period. One had to keep in mind that most of them had little idea on what the ocean could present to them, and should any get into a little problem, they would scream for Mumma to come and rescue them.

But never did I use any derogerotive statements as to their thought, and requests for help. If I had proof that anything they said was false (which was often) I would kindly say, 'I think you are worng there and show them why?'

So, obviously this is not a place for asking questions about my concept, and is only for those biggots, and bully boys of Old Briney, or maybe the family bath tub and the little rubber ducky.

Sorry, Mr Moderator, but the first shot was fired from your Saucy Sailor Boyz"

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  8. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Pity that, otherwise Top Gear might buy a bakers dozen just to abuse them on TV.

9. Marakorpa

Marakorpa Junior Member

Van-boat

Okat, the funsters are under control, so here is the concept in short.

In 2013 there were 54, 1001 campervans registered in Australia. These are the smaller van, and not a motor home. Overseas travellers keep this hire industry alive and well.

There has been a 4% increase in these campervans in on the previous 12 months of the census.

I ennvisage hire rafts/ barges, similar to those used in the oyster industry. where these canpervans can drive onto and with some other concept designs, go off down the waterways as a small house boat with the van providing the "house".

Now, concepts: The van itself will be the power source to drive the barg, which will be built as flat and as light as possible considering safety and stability.

I have thoughts on the manner in transferring the Vans automotive power to the propolsion and steering of the unit in a fairly simple manner.

The "Captain" would sit in the driver's seat of his van and drive the boat like he drives his van.

There will be no stored fuel or water on the barge, so that it may be transported to the "Hire site" on a truck....Maybe two or three to each truck, depending on demand.

In time I see these barges being in areas where houseboating is popular, and the limit to that is endless in Australia.

I would think that the upper limit on van size would be as the Toyota Coaster, but t at is one of my questions.

There would be no problem with front or rear wheel drive vehicles. ( A bit of a brave statement as there is always problems); howewver I feel that the steering and drive concept is simple enough and it could be accomodated.

I have a bit of an idea how much travellers, especially the hard cash strapped young "Pack-Packer type" would pay for the hire of one of these units for say a day in off peak periods or a week in holiday seasons.

Expenses, if it ever came to fruition, would be having a person at the launch site to fit the van to the barg, get the hirer to sign a safety agreement, after pre-payment to a web site set up by the "company".

One could lookk at Franchise in popular areas with the barges alwasy belonging to the company.

Now that is the initial idea, I will discuss the drive/steering concepts later.

10. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Actually not, but don't let that bother you. I just got bored & went to bed.

See member 'myark' and his postings on this forum, his foldable barge concepts would be a good nucleus for what you think you want.

If you stay away from religious themes and justifications for measurements with no regard to materials science, you'll get a reasonably polite hearing and assistance. If you don't, the consequences are on your own head. Pretty simple really.

PDW

11. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Anyone who quoted a source from a creationism web site is automatically suspect, because creationism is not and never will be science. I'm sure you won't accept that, but so what - you started it, you either get to drop it, you get ridiculed to the point where you leave, you accumulate negative reputation points to where you *can't* post here - your choice.

You *were* getting a fair go until *you* introduced the religious aspect. You're a new member here so you probably don't realise we've been over this many times, and with each new iteration people get more terse & direct about it. It saves a lot of typing further on.

The fact is that your particular creationism myth has no more relevance to boat building than Terry Pratchett's Discworld universe has to astronomy.

Ponder the difference between 'revealed truth' and 'empirical proof' because that's where scientists, engineers et al differ from people who base their worldview on faith alone. I am firmly in the former camp and in my eyes, you are the bigot not me, because I'm willing to accept that I'm wrong as soon as someone comes up with facts that demonstrate it, and you're not.

So my advice is to drop all religious references and arguments based on them now, before it gets worse. And don't throw insults like 'bigot' about unless you want to get them back, and worse.

PDW

12. Marakorpa

Marakorpa Junior Member

Now, they are under control. This person is as fervent about his 'religion' of evolution as any door knocker is, and is as prepared to argue his side alone.

I am prepared to take knowledge, advice, ideas or whatever from any source, and the dimensions of Noah's Ark were written down about 1500 years BCE.

But if people ae going to go into a trauma if the Bible is mentioned, I will refrain from 'Casting Pearls....'

13. Mr Efficiency

Might have been better to elaborate on the concept from the start, rather than going off into ark-ane diversions !

14. messabout

messabout Senior Member

The OP came to the forum to get expert advice. He chose the right forum for that purpose because we have some distinguished and generous authorities here, along with an entire army of shrewd old salts who know a thing or two. OP is in way over his head. He pretty well blew it when he relapsed into the folksy, but absurd, Genesis fairy tale.

Pdwiley nailed it with his recent "bigoted" reply. Seconded herewith.

Perhaps our wise moderator will see fit to deep six this thread?

15. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

Unfortunately it does seem this thread is causing more annoyance and complaints rather than inspiring members to help or contribute ideas, so it's probably best to close this particular thread. It's difficult when someone wants to ask a question about something they feel they can't give details on and this probably created a rocky start to the thread; with the injection of the religious aspects and comments such as "I will refrain from 'Casting Pearls....'" it's probably not likely to get back on track at this point, so this particular thread is being closed at this point in an effort to keep the forums more positive.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.