Democratic boat design & some help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jiggerpro, Dec 11, 2007.

1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Jiggerpro -
    You are making the assumption - you asked for quote
    "Help on
    -Design
    -Fiberglass reinforcement recommendations advising on weigh and number of layers of reinforcement"

If you followed the next logical step, you would get a qualified, competent person to TELL you what you NEED, USING the methods you mention.

Even now you say its still a case of "we plan on starting .... "

Asking for specific info on structural makeup of a large craft like this , on the basis of a couple of images is just silly, which is what you were doing.

2. kmorin

kmorin Senior Member

Design model lines

jiggerpro,
    I'd be happy to see the Rhino file, and show a few of the shapes I've mentioned. That is a better way of discussing shape; when we say 'a little here' ....' some curve there.." its lots of assuming (my favorite form of logic) and since a picture is worth more words please send the file and I'll try to reply in images.

iisco@acsalaska.net

I read and re-read your remarks about windage of the T top and have to say I'm not very well versed on calculating that resistance. We'll see if the shapes I end up suggesting are more or less probable to drag. The canvas section had eluded my first look at the model.

If I understand your post the area inside the T top cover or main flat area will retract or stow so the T top will be more of a U in that case? I didn't realize this would significantly reduce drag as I 'assumed' that mainly came from the leading edge structures. Its interesting though, that this area might add or reduce overall drag and I'll see what I can read about this idea before I spend much time on the model.

I'll show a few transoms too, just to see if they're similar to the shapes you've worked with in your design evolution. Brackets may be a 'love it or leave it' type of design element but it seems to me there would be some shapely appendage that might look attractive and still move the kickers aft?

Sure can't help with much in the way of scantlings, as I'm strictly a metal boat builder, but I love to look at the Riva's and other curvy, sleek looking boats. Here in Alaska, we tend to call them "bikini freighter's" because in the warmer latitudes these boats often have well formed crew members lounging on the bow. Where we live, and fish, they'd be wearing oil skins and a watch cap so just talking, sketching and thinking about sleek, fast, dramatically shaped craft is interesting for me.

cheers,
    kmorin

3. jiggerpro

jiggerpro Senior Member

To rwatson: me being a civil engineer, consider myself qualified enough to develop the project alone to a certain extent and then and only then , when ideas are clear get the the final touches which only an expert can give.

And YES, it is still a case of "we plan on starting ... " what is wrong with that and what is what you consider silly about asking before start ??? it is precisely before starting projects when you should ask and get a preliminary view of the thing as a whole.

And once again your approach is wrong, I DID NOT ASK FOR STRUCTURAL HELP BASED ON SOME RENDERINGS I clearly offererd the sending of the
    3D rhinoceros files to anyone willing to help, in them OFF COURSE there is detailed information about internal structure and other stuff .
    WHAT TRULY IS SILLY IS YOUR ASSUMPTION OF OTHERS IGNORANCE WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING THEM. but I will not bother anymore in explaining you what obviosuly won´t fit inside your head

4. jiggerpro

jiggerpro Senior Member

Hello kmorin, about wind resistance of a T top, I have not made any calculations on wind resistance, but a t-top of average size as any boat when travelling in anything but perfect conditions, will not be moving horizontally, it will be moving tilted upwards an will cause any large surfaced T-top to act like a parachute stealing speed and fuel on the process, that is why I want my boat to have two kinds of shade protection, one small usable when moving fast and large removable one to be used when the boat stands still.
    Yes my t-top will have a U shape and the blue part is canvas and will be removable maybe with a super high quality zip in order to reduce furthermore the unnecessary push of air. you certainly could not tell from the drawings.
    about the transom, If I understood you right, will need to have a flat area where the engines will be fitted and a slight curve towards the sides, I agree It will definitely look better i will try to send you a zipped file of the main lines of the boat removing some little things like cleats and other accesories to make it smaller so it can be sent as an attached file to your-mail box, I am sure that you will enjoy seeing in 3d what others have in their minds.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.