deep sea mooring

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by exp30002, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

The big "hole" in your idea to date, is transporting the woven tyres to the mooring spot. You won't be able to tow them in the water.

You won't be able to safely handle more than around 10 of those woven tyres on small sailboat, and even fewer in heavy weather.

You need a decent commercial barge to safely get a decent size mat to an offshore location.

A real danger, is losing the load in relatively shallow water, and being fined or sprung with the cost of retrieving the "polluting" tyres from relatively shallow areas.

2. exp30002

exp30002 Previous Member

Well, let's just stay in the here and now. First I have to get some tires and weave them in my backyard
    to get experience. Not to mention about a suitable cutting tool, that would be preferably a handheld
    cordless power tool.

But, if we want to go future tripping, well. The mat would be woven at the mooring site on a barge.
    Steel containers on a barge could work, so if anything falls off it is going to be in a box.
    A 40' steel container is about $1600, and it can be reused. A 40' container can hold about 2000 tires.
    there is $1.75 recycling fee per tire. 2000 tires recycling fee adds up to $3500.

Transporting 9 tires is legal. I could cut 9 tires and transport them to the site with a 22' sailboat.
    I would not tow anything with the boat.

The "hole" in the idea is the recycling fee. Would the fee be payed to me when I can transport the tires.
    On that fee, it would be possible to get a barge and a few containers, and pay for towing.
    Money is not everything, and money is not the primary object, but it is a very important part to pay
    for what I use. To me it is important to provide value in exchange of the money.
    For me, to use money with respect, and to use money the right way, is an important part of the project.

A site has to be found too. So a small boat could be used for finding a spot.
    After the spot is found, I would put there a conventional FAD to mark the spot. I would use an AIS beacon too.
    This all depends on the reactions to the development.

Things are going well. Thank you. How are you?

The boat, I was planning to buy, was sold. I did not get it. There are going to be other boats. Now I have towing light kit,
    and it works. I got a hitch too.
    The boat is the thing, I am planning to tow on a trailer, and I am planning to keep the boat and the trailer in my backyard.
    I always wanted to have a boat on a trailer in the backyard. That is why I bought the backyard. The backyard came with
    the house. It is convenient this way: I live in the house.

Right now, I am at the point, that I think this oscillating power multi tool is going to make it as a cutting tool.
    The problem is, the one I got is a 120V corded version. So tomorrow I am planning to go back to the store with the
    tool and the receipt, get a cordless one, pay the difference, and cut tires. I think there is a high probability, that
    this is going to work.

3. exp30002

exp30002 Previous Member

Ooops. Is there and echo in here? Is there and echo in here?

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

You have the right idea that the finance side of it is very important. So many projects ignore the realities.

Just something to to put up there on the "planning board", you seagoing barge to carry a container will cost about $170,000 to buy, or $1,000 a day to rent.

Edit: - Oh, I wanted to add that you should contact the EPA, and find out about the rules for establishing an artificial reef, and what areas are permitted.
    You may find that it would be easier if you located an old oil drilling site, that has rubbish all over the bottom of the ocean, and is less likely to be rejected on environmental grounds.
    You may already be in trouble with tyres, because dumping of anything containing oil has been illegal for a number of years. Used tyres are renowned for absorbing oil from the roads.

5. chinaseapirate

chinaseapirate Previous Member

yes echo echo. I would use a sawzall also. just order a 1000 pk from china - bi-metal 3 inch blades 15 cents each 30 days to arrive. If you have gps in your phone...should be good within a few meters. I'm sure could hide an FAD for months from detection, not sure about with a beacon attached, but why? I am sure if found by almost anyone it will be removed- no charge, unless you had a signed note "please do not disturb" on it ...then you might have to pay for the removal. I'm not sure what the point of physically marking the spot is anyways - but don't respond if you don't want to reveal any "trade secrets" or be linked to a conspiracy to commit minor misdemeanor,,,I didn't mean to float the pvc pipes i just switched topics too rapidly, that was ruse to have a documented delivery should it need to be explained to any public safety officer- probably should have been a different paragraph even. I was responding to the tires not providing positive buoyancy.
    A single 215 70R15 used tire will weigh 22lbs and have 200lbs buoyancy in seawater (for instance stretch wrapped watertight (haven't tried - keyword watertight) . more reasonable - strap a set or 30 tires together with three long pieces of heavy duty polyester strap then wrap it with thin epdm pond liner(20cents ft^2 china) with the seam topsides. 6 of these gives you a (13.500 lbs payload 100% seaworthy) barge which fits on trailer 4500lbs weight. cap the bow and stern with 3/8 ply bolted to the tire and use some marine "caulk" then figure some kind of (or maybe not) "plow" Kontiki style, out of scrap lumber and 3/8 ply. 30' x 14' personal watercraft about $300 +labor - one day if you have made a few, assembled at sea or boat ramp. carries 600 tires above the waterline or 2000 tires below.
    I like the ring weave, absolutely indestructible and no other materials required, but if there is money available from the tires themselves or even renting yachts complete with kayak, watchdog, tent and free wireless "stationed" 300 yards offshore prime beach real estate, stacking and tying is quicker than weaving. There is ZERO that harbor patrol can do if the yacht is not abandoned or anchored more than 24hrs. Find tires, I can store them.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There are many areas where anchoring is prohibited and the local police or Coast Guard can make you move. In some places, anchoring will land you in jail and there will be a huge fine for damaging the bottom.

7. chinaseapirate

make one 7 times the displacement. 3 strands of 150 tires, 2 of 125 tires, 2 of 100 tires, and 2 of 75 tires. can put (4) 48ft aluminum containers on it in a diamond shape. still have 54,000 lbs of payload assuming empty containers. 7 X displacement = 7 times the cost - $2000 bucks + 16,000 for the containers. steel 40 footers are cheaper but we're into mini megayacht territory now...so aluminum. 3 dogs, six kayaks jacuzzi and 1600ft 2 living space... discount- $2000/month 36 month lease on approved credit with 25% cash deposit - no restriction on sublets. Can even add 300 tires under all that to bring the waterline right to the bottom of the top layer of tires. a 26inch freeboard raft. with 300% reserve buoyancy. pretty seaworthy as long as straps remain tight. I know where two dumpsters full of the real heavy duty thick green polyester strap used to tie lumber together are in Washington. I'm sure they do the same thing with the stuff in L.A. - chop into chips and recycle it at 10% original cost. It has more ultimate tensile strength than 3/16 stranded stainless wire ( guess but I'm sure I'm correct on that).

8. chinaseapirate

All true, Gonzo. but if the current regs say 200 yards offshore... than all they can make up is that you are a navigational hazard and ASK you to leave because your not. So pull up anchor and slowy paddle or sail away... until they are gone. if they come back? start your recorded documentation - "officer bozo said I was a navigation hazard so i moved from A to B, gps says it was 500 yards paralell to shore 5/22/2018...then argue some more with harbor patrol. They can't tow you they are "bluffing". Just don't point it out to them. If they insist - move again. That is how it goes in southern cal.

9. chinaseapirate

you woul think one could develop a automatic self positioning system with an alarm if it couldn't manage so that you would really not need ever to anchor. . maybe four 360 degree electric props with model airplane props on them EVEN.

10. alan craig

alan craig Senior Member

Chinesepirate that is EXACTLY what I was thinking. I did a quick search and can't find anything except this paper, but I am pretty sure that there are research vessels which can "geomoor" (there must be a better word).

http://www.ucalgary.ca/engo_webdocs/GL/93.20055 CYLiu.pdf

I have a little electric/rowing skiff and am planning a solar canopy; the silly daydream is to end up with drone boat - PV panels, batteries, motor and GPS stuff which can be geomoored while I go off rowing, and then summoned to tow me home!

11. chinaseapirate

work it in reverse to come pick you up from shore. maybe get it to hoist the quarantine flag also when no one is aboard , keep mosquitos away. I'look at your link later I'm getting loopy.

12. exp30002

exp30002 Previous Member

Tires and oil:

I have seen US Coast Guard ships docking in San Diego. The docking was lined with used tires.
    They might do it differently in Tasmania.

13. exp30002

exp30002 Previous Member

Let's not be so optimistic. There can be lots of other obstacles in physical reality.
    Like cutting the tires. First things first: tires have to be cut.

14. exp30002

exp30002 Previous Member

dynamic positioning ?

alan craig likes this.

15. exp30002

exp30002 Previous Member

In some cases anchoring: probably in Florida. I have been to Florida: no, thank you for now.
    The ocean at the California coast can gets very deep, very fast. Some places 10 miles off shore 3500'
    is more than 1000 meters for the metric people. (10 nautical miles = about 19 kilometers).

But right now, I will stay with cutting the tires.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.