deep sea mooring

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by exp30002, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Have you priced animal skins? The good ones and seal, narwhal some whales. PETA will probably shoot you;)

exp30002 likes this.
  2. chinaseapirate

chinaseapirate Previous Member

:eek:I said "...or something".

exp30002 likes this.
  3. exp30002

exp30002 Previous Member

Hello chinaseapirate;

Let's keep contact!
    I am glad, that you see something in this also.

Some logistics has to be worked out. First one is the time. I have a full time job.
    Right now; I do not have a boat. Both could change very quickly.

So, may be first about closing the tube. Tire ring weaving can close the tube, no need tying.
    To this point, I used box cutting knifes to cut the rims. I think, the rims can be woven into the matrix.
    It takes a bit of space to experiment with this, so I have not collected many tires yet. I do not have any
    pictures.

The original idea of ring weaving comes from a person Gerd Weiland. He is a German man, and he lives
    in Germany. He is about 71 years old. He did some of this under different circumstances, and for different reasons.
    But, I am not sure about the exact circumstances. So to weave the tires on a boat in the water might not be developed
    yet. I am not sure how many tires I can weave a day. I am not sure where to leave it and how.

I know, that the tires will not float on their own. Specific gravity of tires, with steel belt in them, is about 1.3 g/cm3.
    But not float just by very little, compared to the seawater specific gravity of about 1.05 g/cm3 or something like that.
    So, in seawater the tire weights little, because of the buoyancy. Anyways there does not seem to be much ideas about
    how to make them float. I would think of polyurethane foam in a can from Home Depot.

There seems to be a loophole about the transportation of the tires. Common carrier can transport tires without
    license, if the purpose of the trip was not solely for transportation of the tires.
    I understand that if someone delivers something else than tires, and on the way back picks up a load of tires,
    and is considered a common carrier, than it is ok to transport without license.

Complex, but it might just still work.

Thank you for your comment.

Best regards;

4. exp30002

exp30002 Previous Member

Well, I do have pictures of the ring weaving. All the digital pictures are made of things I did weave.

5. exp30002

exp30002 Previous Member

OK, so the animal skin is a new one. I do not see it, but well.
    The recycling fee is $1.75 per tire. That is charged to the customer at the time of purchase of new tires in the
    state of California. There are 40 million used tires produced in Ca per year. That makes $70mil.
    A 40' steel container can hold 1500 to 2000 tires. The recycling fee on 1500 tires is $2625, and on
    2000 tires, it is $3500. I donno, how much of that the end user can get.

There is precedence of tire export with ships from California, USA to China.
    California's Old Tires Cross the Ocean and Come Back as Smog http://www.takepart.com/feature/2016/02/12/tire-recycling-california-smog/

There is a risk of picking up 1500 tires. The tires have to be placed somewhere.
    Without a waste tire storage permit it is legal to store 499 tires in California.
    I have a backyard, and I think I could store 499 tires, but I do not have a storage permit, so I cannot
    store more. The good thing is that the tires can be stored for long time, the tires do not go bad.

I am not sure where the tires could be loaded from truck to boat, but there are some commercial ports
    around here, like Long Beach, San Diego, Los Angeles... etc. It is most likely possible to find a port with a
    loading dock. Oceanside is one of the closest harbor to me. Dana Point is the other one. San Diego is a bit
    more, but it is about an hour drive. Santa Monica sounds good too, but that would be about 2 hours for me.
    I really like Santa Monica, and I go there as much as I can.

Right now, I am trying to find out the details of how many tires would make how long of a line.
    I could do some extrapolation from a sub-scale prototype, but I would rather build a part of a full
    scale prototype in my backyard.

At this point I can cut the tires with a box cutter/utility knife. I buy those knifes at Harbor Freight and Tools
    for $0.50 per piece. I estimate I can cut 10 to 20 tires with one knife.

chinaseapirate likes this.
  6. chinaseapirate

I could temporarily store close to 30-40,000 tires without attracting complaints. I'm sure we have some similar tire law here in Nevada, but no one complains about anything as long as it doesn't look ridiculously like we are "hoarding tires" or especially collecting money. But I am miles about 250 miles from Riverside I think. I have already over 100 tires in my yard, and my next door neighbor had a couple thousand in his yard before he passed away. his relatives came and through them in the dumpster. You could probably see tires from google map all over out here. I'm Commercial Zoned so if I ever actually got a 60 day notice or something like it, I could just say "we are building a mini-ship" you honor and show him our business license.
    If your understanding is correct about the collection of tires, I can get my intersate trucking company running and insured. It would take a week once you can find preferable a contract of like say 10 loads or just a verbal agreement that they will cal US first when they got a full load . I don't really know, but it seems easy enough for to arrange a delivery if neccesary I could I could ship to you a load of junk pvc pipes or something that looked "normal" on a truck even though you , like any other customer in all 50 states have the opportunity to not accept such delivery then I just deal with the pipes. I can get them to float. I'm sure. They would work great as a "barge" but let me work on some "ship" designs - basically our goal is to get them out 200 mi? or 24? -25 ( and I know all of the Channel Islands count as another 24 from the respective "low water" marks. so Southern California is like 40 -75 miles out already) "low water" marks. I have two other "crazy" things in my life and I've wasted weeks/months at a time thinking/devising of seasteads. Don't think "boat" think "ramform" oh wait, that may be patented, or at least the name anyway. There a couple or three winter storms bringing 10ft+ swells /yr as I remember with probably a 20+ once every 4 years. Will get Gonzo to fly out and gives us his best Survival Expectancy In Days [​IMG]
    I'm not so sure of this as I am of getting the tires to float , and wont have to cut all of the sidewalls off for the transport barge, but I think I can still buy something very similar to this nice yacht for $35-40,000 across to California from Philippines +3000 gallons diesel. Its not quite a long as it looks though probably 32 meters +-4

7. chinaseapirate

I read up more on the recycling. Just call the tire haulers themselves offer "storage" to them. Without doing any detailed planning, I estimate it would run $3.00 / floating tire and $0.65 /tire "storage". Basically (2) loads/wk at $400/load + fuel back/forth approx 100 gal. for storage would "buy my time" (to unload and store 4000 tires/wk and buy materials and develop a "rim" that catches two tire lips -from opposing tire lips instead of the same tire) . If you develop the "business" to support this PAST 40,000 tires in my yard no wporries - I can develop a way to ( legally with permit/licenses) to in effect "store" up to 500,000- 1,ooo,000 tires. I am "100% ready" to liveaboard a similar similar yacht as pictured above with acres mats/rings/floating breakwaters surrounding it, inside 12 mile limit in fact. The loophole would be its not a permanent anchored vessel.

I know we could find other "seasteaders" to be owners of registration free "self propeled" yachts (the floatation component) with values (to your ultimate project) of less than $500. Supposing they had qualms against moving 200 miles offshore...well when we pull their infrastructure - mothership and tire webs holding the community together they will either abandon their vessels (99 ton self propelled rafts) or not, completely voluntary. Plus their free community owned large brewery is gone also. in 2-3 years when you have a "plan" that needs following we are approaching infinitely better odds of success hiring "international crew/labor" then supporting freeloaders.

I would doubt you can get a sea-based aquacluture license from California, but that does not in any way prevent poaching of naturally occurring shrimp/mackerel/squid, all manner of seaweeds, and all manner of molluscs. Even back in 1988 i was selling mackerel to asian markets, they don't care where fresh seafood comes from. Good luck with finding tires.

exp30002 likes this.
  8. exp30002

exp30002 Previous Member

Well, OK, all of that is yes. And do not change that channel.

(May be for now, lets hold back with the PVC pipes.)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  9. exp30002

exp30002 Previous Member

The sea-based aquaculture license from California might be not necessary, because the first
    installation of a structure would be outside of the territorial water of the state of California (3 miles).
    It would be still in federal jurisdiction, within 12 miles. And the direction of next installation after that
    would be outward towards the high seas. I'll go get a boat, and go out on the water to find the spot.
    My email is exp30002@gmail.com
    Seasteading is interesting, I wrote some stuff on that forum too.

10. exp30002

exp30002 Previous Member

I ran into a bit difficulties with the tires. I drove around and picked some tires up from the ditches.
    I found some truck tires. Truck tires are big. And truck tires have steel mash in the rims too.
    Difficult to cut through the steel mash. I did cut rims off of one truck tire, but it takes a hand held
    power tool to cut it, and the blade breaks easily. The with of the tires are important. The with has to be
    one fourth of the length of the smallest ring in the mat, otherwise the rest of the rings will not fit.
    So, right now I am looking for an easy way to cut through the steel mash in the tires.
    I am experimenting with corroding the steel with bleach (sodium-hypochlorite solution).
    I cut one tire with a knife to the steel mash and sprayed bleach in the cut to corrode the steel. It might work.

The bleach did not work.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  11. exp30002

exp30002 Previous Member

12. chinaseapirate

my computer wouldn't load that link. Did you find a boat yet?

13. exp30002

exp30002 Previous Member

I found a boat to start with on craislist. It is a McGregor 22' sailboat on a trailer.
    It is just for scouting for the right spot. And I hope I can keep it in my backyard,
    instead of docking. I am slow, but persistent.
    I got to go to Harbor Freight Tools again to get trailer light kit for the towing,
    and an oscillating power tool for the tire cutting. May be tomorrow morning.

14. exp30002

exp30002 Previous Member

15. exp30002

exp30002 Previous Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.