Deconstructive testing!

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by rturbett, Jan 31, 2022.

  1. rturbett
    Joined: Aug 2005
    Posts: 193
    Likes: 4, Points: 28, Legacy Rep: 35
    Location: FINGER LAKES, NY

    rturbett Senior Member

    This was the first try at making a Shark hull- (mold I made was flawed, hull was unusable)
    Fun to look at how well the epoxy and glass held to the balsa core. I'm looking forward to trying again!
     
  2. hoytedow
    Joined: Sep 2009
    Posts: 5,856
    Likes: 398, Points: 93, Legacy Rep: 2489
    Location: Control Group

    hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

    Do you have a lines plan of what it would be?
     
  3. rturbett
    Joined: Aug 2005
    Posts: 193
    Likes: 4, Points: 28, Legacy Rep: 35
    Location: FINGER LAKES, NY

    rturbett Senior Member

    I do have the plans for the hull stations-its what i built the mold from.
     
  4. hoytedow
    Joined: Sep 2009
    Posts: 5,856
    Likes: 398, Points: 93, Legacy Rep: 2489
    Location: Control Group

    hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

    How about sharing an image?
     
  5. fallguy
    Joined: Dec 2016
    Posts: 6,784
    Likes: 1,389, Points: 123, Legacy Rep: 10
    Location: usa

    fallguy Senior Member

    What rendered it unusable?
     

  6. rturbett
    Joined: Aug 2005
    Posts: 193
    Likes: 4, Points: 28, Legacy Rep: 35
    Location: FINGER LAKES, NY

    rturbett Senior Member

    This is the male mould when I built it- it had a three inch bend to the left ( the right side was 3 inches longer than the left) I built one hull off of it to see how the layup worked- glass/ endgrain balsa /glass with some key locations having okume inserts.
    Overall, very pleased with the strength and weight of this method. I would do it this way again. There is another Shark mould that I have access to, so no loss in this attempt. Great learning experience. The root cause was that I made a "weak back" instead of a strong back, and did not work evenly on both sides, causing a curve.
    I started the project when the first Shark I rebuilt (glass hulls/wooden top) came in at 513 lbs- 63 lbs over class minimum weight. I knew I could do better. New sails made the boat competitive, and this mould has been a piece of art in my basement for too long! I have two more Sharks that I am working on,- a rebuild and a re-decking, so I needed the room.

     
    hoytedow and fallguy like this.
Loading...
Similar Threads
  1. Manfred.pech
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    2,931
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.