Decision Time

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Wynand N, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Steel or Aluminuim :?:

As a firm believer in steel as a building material for cruising sail boats, I was tempted by aluminuim.

Having posted a couple of threads on aluminuim boat building and in particular "aluminium keel ballast", I carefully read and considered the pro's and con's of both materials. Alu has a lot going for it, but so does steel, thus I came to the conclusion that alu is a bit "risky" and very expensive as well.
    Problems mentioned: very sensitive to electrolysis, weld failures, inside condensation & noise, lead ballast problems that may arise, less abrasive resistant than steel.

I agree that electrolysis is a burden with most yachts but more so with aluminuim.
    However, as I am going to build a cruising sail boat that must carry me and my old lady safely to the four corners of the globe, I want peace of mind that the hull must be able to take what it gets, whales, gales, groundings, submerged reefs, other boats etc etc and the odd submarine.....
    Repairs to the hull, if ever needed, must be easy and affordable wherever you are.
    With all this in mind, I really have no other choice but to build "Touch Wood" with the material she was designed for originally, in steel.
    Lofting starts next week.

2. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Wynand,

Make the best of it and keep us posted (with pictures)!

Veel geluk en hou ons op de hoogte!

Kind regards
    Hartelijke groeten,

3. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Fair Winds

En ook veel succes namens mij!
    Brien

4. Robert Gainer

Robert Gainer Designer/Builder

Steel

Good luck with the project and I don’t think you will ever look back with regrets. Keep us up to date, some of us need to know it’s really possible to get the boat done and sail into the sunset.
    All the best,
    Robert Gainer

5. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Her measurements and design would be interesting to see . Does the designer have a website ?

6. Wynand N

:) Thanks, Dutch Peter, Brien and Robert. Will keep you guys posted with photos as I go along.

Mike, the boat was designed by myself.
    Unfortunately, I retired from professional boatbuilding and boat design about 13 years ago, except for the help or design on the odd yacht here and there as a labour of love. So I have no website.
    Again, as I have a dislike in design software, the design was completed on my old trusted drawing board on mylar film in AO & A1 size sheets. I live in a small town and have limited copy facilities and no one can reduce this drawings to A3 or A4 format so I can scan copies to this forum. As soon as I go up to Johannesburg, I will get this drawings reduced and post some of them.
    Elsewhere I stated the design data, but for your benefit, I'll repeat them.
    This is the final figures after some small alterations.

LOA 12700mm
    LWL 11300mm
    Beam 3990mm
    Draft 1550mm
    Disp 11900kg (half load)
    Ballast 3800kg
    CP 0.55
    SA/Disp 17

Steel raduis chine hull (4mm hull & 3mm deck) with beam carried well aft. Plumb bow (15degrees) with rather flat buttocks aft. Modern pilothouse with sweeping lines and "deck arch" to carry main sheet traveller and for aesthetic reasons as well. Aft cockpit with in and outside steering. Raised saloon to take in the views whilst sipping your firewater.
    She has twin asymetrical bulb keels canted 20 degrees outwards(aspect ratio 1.47) and slightly toed in and carries twin high aspect ratio rudders fitted to full skegs.
    The rig is a double spreader twin headsail sloop.
    Acommadation is generous and designed for two people with space for occasional 2 extra persons.

7. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Contemporary , is this the first vessel of this design to see the light of day?.

I find a digital camera good for recording large plan sheets for non-critical reproduction.

It is always a sleepless night after sending plans off for a new design, even more so I think when you start to build your own.

The various compromises haunt you for a while, the designer is always aware that every yacht design is a collection of conflicting demands traded off against each other. When you design for yourself you are a hard client to please !

What town are you in? Will you need to transport the vessel far.

8. Wynand N

Hi Mike :)

Thanks for the digital camera tip. My old trusted 35mm SRL getting dated. If I get a digital camera, Ill post.

Actually, I am very contend with the outcome of my design. In fact, to design for yourself is not so hard. From a design point of view I know what would work nicely and not. My boatbuilding experience helps in designing a builder friendly hull as well. With a client it not so easy to please his whims. He wants what he wants regardless....

Yep, she is the first of her design and would probably stay that way to make her truly custom and unique.
    I stay about 500km from Durban port in a small mining town, Welkom.

Unforeseen happenings are happening. On short notice (last Thursday) I was informed that my expertise and talents are urgently needed in another country. I am infact the only candidate for the job. Final interview is tommorow morning 10h00 at Johannesburg International. The forms 80, 1066 and 1221 were attached with the message and already filled out by me for that magic residence visa.
    Yes, you guess right, I might be soon a fellow citizen in down under. Must start on my accent mate ;)

Thus, "Touch Wood" is on ice for the time beign and might just be build in Perth. Me and me sheila being there for a 3 weeks a couple of years back and fell in love with WA.

9. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Welcome cobber !
    I'm on the eastern side. Pop over on the train one day.

Does this mean you'll boat-build in Perth ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.