Debris in my local river after heavy rain

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by djaus, Aug 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Dirk
    I don't agree with you, having lived in several different countries and states within Oz I keep moving back to Tasmania. It's nothing like the poorer southern states of the US, they would really depress you.

While the population remains low we have a lot of advantages. Hard to match or really comprehend unless you have lived worked and raised family in a few other places.
    For the sailor it's a world class cruising ground that's arguably one of the best in Australia providing your boat suits higher latitude sailing.

But what's your skill base ? Maybe you just aren't in the best spot in Tas.

2. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Sometimes their speed judgement of fast oncoming boats isn't that great,but they are smart enough to know when a salmon is hooked,and will bite off half of it.
    Then come back and look (gloat?) at you in the boat

3. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Probably waiting for you to take the hook out of the other half and throw it to them. I've watched them training their young with a maimed seal, throwing the seal, they are incredible animals. I've seen dolphins doing the same with local escaped farmed Altantic salmon.

For an interesting close encounter , type "surfing killer whales" into your search engine and look for the Utube vid off Mexico it's a must see.

Orcas sank the Robertson's 43' staysail timber schooner Lucette, after it ran into a sleeping Orca and injured it.

4. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

I wish you'd stop posting stuff like this. I spend my time on the big island telling everyone what a cold, miserable and backward place this is to discourage them from moving here and spoiling the place.

Dirk will be a perfect ambassador for my cause if only I can convince him to leave.

PDW

5. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Ah yes sorry, a momentary lapse, the Tassie mantra should go something like: .......It's awful here.........don't come..... Go to Innisfail it's much nicer, really lovely there. They get more rainbows :)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  6. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Yep. If everybody gave them the fish then they'll become too habituated.

The only thing they get from me is the middle finger,usually two....maybe some day they'll figure out what it means.

7. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

The False Killer Whale is another that will take fish that are hooked. Very unsettling when they are spearing around close to small craft.

8. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

It's the seals that take the fish on the line here. An Orca hanging around would at least keep the seals away.

We scooped up a large salmon minus most of it's tail, just seconds before a seal, I guess that's stealing their catch :)

9. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

I miss the old days when we could go fishing with explosives. You could just scoop up the fish and it kept the competition away....

PDW

10. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

easy mistake to make. new zealand is a territory of australia sometimes referred to as eastern tasmania.

11. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

it is sad to see someone run their country down like that. i get the feeling you will be miserable where ever you go with that attitude.

12. myark

myark Senior Member

yesterday with their boat going under, a man and woman have set an emergency radio beacon afloat in an esky to alert rescuers off Western Australia's Coral Coast.
    Police say the couple were swamped by a wave near a reef, north of the North Passage, close to Exmouth on Thursday.

Their boat was semi-submerged and both were injured but they managed to activate the Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB), which alerted authorities.

WA police were contacted by the Australian Marine Safety Authority Rescue Coordination Centre in Canberra about the situation about 3.30pm (WST).

Registration details on the EPIRB included information about the owners' next of kin in Victoria, who explained they were on a fishing trip.

An emergency broadcast was issued on marine radio and a commercial vessel responded, saying it had earlier found an esky with food in it, about 300m north of North Passage.

It was later discovered the activated EPIRB was inside, police said on Friday.

Exmouth Volunteer Marine Rescue Group began a search of the area with the commercial vessel and found the missing pair around 4.20pm (WST).

The 44-year-old male skipper had fractured ribs and a possible minor head injury.

The 41-year-old woman received head, shoulder and foot injuries, and spent the night in hospital.

Police said the incident was a timely reminder about the importance of boats being equipped with an EPIRB.

13. djaus

djaus Salted Nut!

I find reasons to be happy everyday, even when putting up with you guys!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.