Dealing with pirates

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by dave L, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

It was found that gun runners boats sank quickest by emptying a AK's clip just below the waterline, about 1' long. Practice made perfect. Most rolled in 1 minute. Our NATO's took 2 full clips for less of a hole. The AK would usually eat a same sized hole farther down on the other side. Our 222 peashooters seldom made it thru both sides.

2. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

Tofu Bomb

Pirate repulsion devices. Take several 1 quart tupper ware containers. Put a block of tofu in and cover with water. Put the cover on the container and put them in fridge for at least 3 months. When the pirate boat gets within tossing distance, throw a bunch of these onto the pirate ship. Run.

The tofu bomb makes an incredibly foul smell and the smell travels very fast. The pirates will jump over board and it will be hours before they can get near their boat again. But make sure you don't accidently open one before you throw it, otherwise you may actually beg the pirates to shoot you! :D

3. Bob Leask

Bob Leask Junior Member

Repulsive, all right. You may be on the right track. Possibly the effect could be enhanced with other sensory offenses, such as finding an old recording of "Peter Frampton Comes Alive" and playing it at max volume.

4. MarkC

MarkC Senior Member

Hmmmmm - the situation may not be so obvious as it appears.

The killing on the yacht 'C-MENT' in indonesia? where bandits posed as police - or police as bandits comes to mind. One is not going to dash for the gun-stash when a Police Boat approaches...

Honestly - you're probably in more danger from Cyclones/Tornadoes - or the not-so-freak freak-wave.

5. VinceS

VinceS Junior Member

Dress your boat in camo. Doesnt work for a lot of boats, but if you have a nice power cruiser, dress it in camo and I doubt pirates would aproach. or just write "Police" or "Military" down the side.

You could airate the water behind you by pumping extreme amounts of air into some (pipes with holes) setup behind your boat. Turn away and get them in your airated wake. Boyancy drops drastically in airated water, if it doesnt sink them it will slow them down and possibly cause thier engine to over-rev/die.

You could do this quite cheaply, dump 30 weighed down hoses into the water behind you and pump as much air in as you can. You would need a pretty hefty air compressor. careful you dont sink yourself.

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

It is quite easy to make a dummy anti aircraft missile launcher, All you need is an old swivel chair, a few old cardboard boxes some sticky tape and a 6 foot piece of PVC 4 inch soil pipe. Painted matt black of course. Place that on the bow.

7. RANCHI OTTO

RANCHI OTTO Naval Architect

Pirates ?.....no problems,,!! :D :D

Attached Files:

8. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

Yes, and if there were a way to prepare a response for a rouge wave or hurricane - I would expect you and I would do it. I have no plans to surrender my family's safety when it comes things that I can take steps to mitigate. When it come down to it, you have to take personal responsibility for your own safety. If you are not responsible for your safety, then who is, the police? If the police are actually responsible for your safety then why cant they be sued when you are assaulted?

9. Bob Leask

Bob Leask Junior Member

MarkC raises an important point in these discussions about defense: In a lot of "failed state" type places, that label fits Indonesia pretty well, the piracy problem might actually be the police or military. That's been the case in a lot of incidents I've heard of in Asian waters. The Indonesian piracy rings are known to be at least sanctioned by, if not run by, government officials. Forget about defending yourself against armed patrol craft.

I think we've just got to face the unpleasant fact that when you're playing with toys that are worth more than the gross income of a large village in some of those countries, somebody might be tempted to take it from you. If you want to do that safely you're just plain being silly. If you don't like that risk don't take it, stay in civilized places.

There are basically 3 areas of the world where piracy is a significant problem, the good news is that they're all easily avoided. You can sail around the world and have your pick of enough safe places to visit, more than you'll ever live long enough to see. Those who choose to sail through southeast Asia, the Red Sea or certain parts of Latin America know there are risks involved. It's a roll of the dice for the sake of a shorter passage or cheaper provisions or whatever reason but nobody actually needs to go to any of those places.

It's like hiking in bear country. If you're scared of bears, what the heck are you doing there? So far I've never seen campers in bear country armed to the teeth like special forces, but that seems to be about what some people seem to think is rational in regards to yachting in places that are the human equivalent.

10. terabika

terabika Junior Member

not well armed

I have read many stories in which they were not "verywell" armed. I do not consider ak47 so formidable as I carry one myself with 75 round drum and pnumatic triger cycler (it is semi auto fo rlegal purposes and pnumatic piece fits in in about 5 seconds. I have two "hardened " positions that will take up to but not including a .50 cal. I have surprise, lots of rounds and can lob molatov coctails 75 yards with pnumatic cannon.....a boat on fire will not give me any problem i think :)....peace through superior firepower! :)

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I dont know if you are all aware but I will tell you any way. Thers a yachty web site called noonsite,com There are a few spine chilling stories of pirate attacks on criusing yachts.

12. YarPirateSteve

YarPirateSteve Junior Member

YAR! Ye Mother Was a tree!!

[​IMG]

13. Peg Arm Mez

Peg Arm Mez Junior Member

Well, raise my mast & bury my treasure!

14. xovlov

xovlov Junior Member

[​IMG]
    what DO you do with a drunken sailor?
    besides buy him more Jagermeister?

15. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

This couldn't be any funnier!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.