Dealing with pirates

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by dave L, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blared

blared ALFA

just put one of these on your boat when you decided to go out there. :)

[​IMG]

2. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

One of whats?

Violence is never the answer, but non-lethal weaponry is! (Just kidding.)
    Although, wouldn't it be cool if you were sailing around the world, got confronted by pirates (which is, it goes without saying, not cool) and when they came near your boat, a huge arsenal of these greeted them?

[​IMG]

These are remote weapons stations. Make your boat's pilothouse or cockpit or cabin (interior space or WHATEVER) bullet-resistant (cause nothing is bullet-proof) then operate these turrets remotely (you can mount .50 caliber machine guns on them...ARMOR PIERCING. Those pirates won't know what hit them.)

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

with all the wimps in the boating scene it might be worthwhile taking the skull and bones job up as a way to make some extra cash, all you need is a funny flag a big gun and several dozen companions with either one eye or a parrot - or better still a one eyed parrot and your in buzziness! A line in funny speech comes in handy too me hearties, arh jim lad!

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Someone should design a combination tear-gas launcher / machine gun that can tuck away completely into a lazarette.... remote operated from the wheelhouse, hatch sufficiently disguised so as to not raise the attention of foreign port authorities.... while violence is always a last resort, it would be good to have for the time you actually do get shot at. Has to be something not obvious; ie. it looks like a swim platform, or a winch drum, or fender hatch, until the gun is raised.

So the pirates approach.... you warn them off with the loudhailer, they keep coming. Pop the hatch, lob a couple tear-gas canisters over their gunwales. If they start shooting, point the gun at their engine hatch and loose a few rounds. They're now dead in the water and you can get away.

5. mackid068

It could sure as heck be done, but it's more of a question of someone NEEDING/WANTING such a thing (a person/persons with a lot of money).

6. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

OF course there is the other side of pirating,

Attached Files:

7. mackid068

Yar! Rig the boarding nets, and give the men those pikes! Prepare to repel boarders.

I can picture it now...people putting up those safety nettings and handing out boathooks and spinnaker poles.

8. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Aren't many Sea Scouts today that can get their Pillaging Badge , have had the joy of Sacking a City or Ransoming a Town.

Sounds like a surer income than just driving airplanes.

FAST FRED

9. zcg0085

zcg0085 Junior Member

dave l
    message from a friend traveling in a convoy in Indonisia this spring. convoy ahead of their group encountered pirates. small boat first to check them out. every one in the convoy prepared shotguns and lay in hiding. larger boat approached ...guns drawn. convoy opened fire killing several pirates, (sorry folks, but perhaps they should choose another profession) before they could board. the rest fled tails tucked between their legs. Best advice would be to avoid... but this limits you crusing to safe coastal us and eu waters. Personally I will travel in convoys (well armed) with an ear to the seaweed grape vine so as to avoid trouble. This group of priates was within fuel range of shore. but not always. mossberg makes an all stainless short barrel pump 12 guage, kimber makes a compact seven shot stainless 45 (great stopping power), I am looking into a 45-70 lever action repeating carbine... from marlin. I am not a gun owner but will not be stopped from traveling 1/3 rd of the worlds oceans.

10. KenCo

KenCo Junior Member

as someone else said, a surplus military 25mm ALL STEEL flaregun can be converted easily. DO NOT LOAD shotgun shells into a "plastic flaregun" (you all knew that, right?)

A "25mm to 12 ga." flare adaptor is avail. from most boat supply stores and turns it into a "12ga. flare pistol". (still legal) I paid $4-5 ea..

Disclaimer, converting something to do this is at your own risk and could be illegal in a crapload of areas if it's chambered w/ shotgun shells..

I bought mine at centerfiresystems dot com and the flare gun was a whopping $39.00+ shipping and came w/ a leather holster and cleaning brushes ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
  11. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Why not keep the thing with the flares, and keep the shotgun shells in a concealed place- a hidden compartment in an overhead, or something. Surely someone can be creative enough to find somewhere that Customs won't check.

12. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Long, around the world cruises, should always be crewed by few ex- military people who have killed a enemy when threatned. They use enough force to protect you. Which most of you will botch up when the shooting or boarding really begins. MAYDAY MAYDAY, is of no help. Weapons can always be hidden well. Just stay + 100 miles or more away from ANY trouble spots.

13. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Cyclops man I like your style! plus of course the RIGHT weapons for the area/job. Pump action shotguns (with the right size shot) are ideal! And a few 'bird shot shells' for the customs to find, "so I like to shoot a few 'tin cans' off shore mista customs man, but I'd never do anything illegal, please lock up my guns under your seal in OUR Bonded Locker" Add a flare gun for ignition (their vessel - never leave survivors! they'll come back to haunt you!)

14. chandler

chandler Senior Member

Unless you intend to use deadly force, stay away from ports that may require it.
    Imagine a cruise to the carribean, poor weather necessitates a stop in cuba.
    Suppose they'll appreciate your need for firearms???

15. chandler

chandler Senior Member

C'mon, where are you going?????

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.