Dan Arena boats

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by BoatMon, Aug 22, 2004.

1. BoatMon

BoatMon New Member

I'm trying to find info on a boat designer/builder by the name of Dan Arena. I know he is a retired racer and started a company called Arena Craft.

I have 1 of 12 "Dan Arena Custom 21XL" fiberglass power boats built in 1974 by Dan. I have not been able to find any info on these boats and wanted to know if anyone else had one of his boats or knew of someone who did, or knew anything about the boats themselves.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  2. Larry Gaddy

Larry Gaddy Junior Member

hello, I have a 1955 Arena Craft Barracuda and would like to talk to you.

3. BoatMon

BoatMon New Member

Arena Craft

Hi Larry, I've heard of the Barracuda and have an add for one from the company.

4. Butch Lynn

Butch Lynn New Member

1956 Barracuda Sportster

Hello....
    I own a 1956 Barracuda Sportster made by the Dan Arena Co. It has the 312 Interceptor engine. I may be interested in selling it if I could find the right buyer. If you know of anyone who may be interested, please let me know.
    Butch Lynn
    (330) 792-1037

5. krobinson

krobinson New Member

Arena Craft Barracuda

I was an old email from Larry Gaddy. It said he had a 1955 Arena Craft
    Barracuda? I use to own one many ,,,,many years ago and it was alot
    of fun.

Larry,,,if you are out there somewhere, please get intouch with me.

Keith Robinson
    email: krobinson@luminous.com
    cell: 408: 761-1896

6. skosh

skosh New Member

Dan Arena!!

I worked for Dan Arena in 1972 thru late 73. It was Arena Craft and we were located in Pacheco, Calif. 94553. He used to live in Laffayete, Calif. but don't recall the street name. Rynell bought the comany from Dan, but around 6 months or so later Dan started building boats again, mostly custom.

7. krobinson

krobinson New Member

SKOSH,,, good to hear from you.. I am always interested in Memoribilia from the
    early days of Boat Building, especially Daniel Arena. If you hear of any let me know.
    Every now and then there is a 1950's boat he built that becomes available.. If you
    hear of any boats let me know.... Keith

8. Butch Lynn

Butch Lynn New Member

The 1956 Dan Arena Barracuda that I had for sale has been purchased. Thanks to everyone who showed an interest in this boat.
    Butch Lynn

9. boby boy

boby boy owner of cla boat design

I worked for Dan for a while don't know where he is now.

10. Kit Arena

Kit Arena Junior Member

Dan Arena 21 Runabout

Great Photo of your 21' I like it! However, I am a little prejudiced because I built it. Dan Arena was my father. I returned home from my high school senior all nighter and found my dad waiting for me in the living room. He told me to get my work clothes on and to make a long story short I learned the boat building trade until we stopped building boats in 1980.

Your boat was built by Dan Arena Co. We started that business immediately after the sale of ArenaCraft to Rienell Boats in 1969. Basically Rienell bought Arenacraft for the name and within one year, basically drove the company down the tubes in about 1 year.

Dan Arena Company tooled a 21' cuddy cabin and sold it in standard stern drives and v-drive models. We were the ONLY company in 1970 that sold a 60 mph family cuddy cabin. (This was way before big block stern drives).
    Our next design in 1969 was to cut down about 6" of freeboard off the cuddy and tool a runabout deck. This was the birth of your boat.

We build probably 50 or so runabouts. some with stern drives, but many with the big block v-drive. Our major market for that boat was Lake Tahoe and to go 50mph at that altitude required the v-drive as the stern drives at that time only had small blocks.

Anyway, your 21 is my favorite boat of all. Hope that you are enjoying it. My dad designed it, but I built it!

Kit Arena

11. riesberg

riesberg New Member

i own a 1956 arena craft barracuda. dan arena was a boat racer and builder. He raced gold cup and lived and worked in the same area as chris craft boats. He piloted the first propeller driven boat to over 100 m p h 1950? He designed the first propeller driven boat to break 200 mph 1960. I think the Bluebird II broke that record in 1957 but it was jet powered with no prop. If you search Dan Arena on the net there is more info and I would guess also in Who's Who in America. I believe Dan took the bisness to Tahoe after his son returned from the service. There must be much info after that. I am beginning to restore my boat. I think I have all the pieces, except the steering wheel. I am sure it is automotive. E mail me if you would like to discuss. Jim jrriesberg@cox.net

12. BoatMon

BoatMon New Member

Dan Arena Co.

Kit Arena...I just happened to go back to this thread on the boatdesign.net site and saw your reply to the question I posted last year.

I still have the 21XL and love it. I run it out of Long Beach, CA and on occasion take it out to Catalina Island. It still runs at 50+ MPH and is all original.

You built a fine boat with your dad! I get nothing but compliments about the boat any time I'm out.

Any chance you have some old pictures of the boats you built? I'd really be interested in them.

You can reach me at boatmon025@yahoo.com

Drop me a line and I'll send you my cell number if you'd like to chat.

Best Regards,
    Brian Adam

13. ArenaCraft

ArenaCraft New Member

help

i have an arena craft "malilu" there are no hull marking's or anykind of nameplates. has anybody ever heard of the "Malilu arena craft

14. classmate43

classmate43 Junior Member

Your 55 Arena Craft!

Dear Sir,
    Do you have any intrest in selling your boat? I'm intrested.
    John G.

15. Larry Gaddy

Larry Gaddy Junior Member

Hello, I have never heard of the Arena Craft that you mentioned. Good luck searching. If you find anything out and want to share it I would love to know. Thank You, Larry Gaddy

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.