cypress hull cost vs fiberglass cost.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by boatbuilder41, Mar 28, 2013.

1. u4ea32

u4ea32 Senior Member

Good question, I'll ask someone who knows.

All of my comments are from what I have been told by people who wanted my business, and was consistent between many builders, so I believe it. But I've never done it.

So, my ignorant speculation would be that the sandwich hull is pretty stiff by itself, and when popped off the mold, it does go into a cradle that is also made of a bunch of frames of the proper shape CNC cut. But that could all be BS, I don't know.

2. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

If by 'mold' you mean a complete male surface, so you lay up skin, core, and second skin before pulling it, that shouldn't be a problem as long as it releases OK. But both skins have to be firmly bonded to the core, and fully cured, before the hull is pulled.

There are a lot of steps, and a lot of opportunities for mistakes. The shops that make it look easy have done it many times before.

1 person likes this.
  3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Building with foam (Airex is my favorite) the mail plug is covered with foam which is laced with string to the mold.

After the external lay up is done the lacing is cut and the hull lifted off the plug and installed in a fixture.

This is usually made from house lumber., and the lofting diagram is used to create at least two templates that accept the hull.

In 30-40 ft two is all that's required.

Yes at this point ,thin green laminate , the hull must be carefully handled as it will wiggle like a wet cardboard box.

Once in its fixture it will easily be stiff enough to accept the interior layers of glass.

4. srimes

srimes Senior Member

Thanks.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.