cutting down trees

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by karlbischoff, Apr 28, 2011.

1. karlbischoff

karlbischoff Bischoff Boatworks

Hey all you lumber folk! I have a tree question for you.

My nephew is about to build a new house on his lot and will be clearing 10 trees (cedar and fir). How big a diameter is worth keeping and milling, vs using for firewood? I would assume there would be a minimum needed to clear the heart and sap wood.

Thanks so much for any guidelines.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

You should find a market for everything down to 6 inch diameter. Local artists might even be interested in smaller diameter cedar for "whittling" art. Shavings of cedar can be used for pot pouri and hamster cages. Smaller diameter fir pieces can be turned for railing spindles. Check with local woodworkers/artisans.

3. hoytedow

You can make tiny items for hobby shops/dollhouse boutiques.

4. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Pretty much what Hoyt said. When I worked in lumber mills 1' diameter and less was pretty common. Surprisingly, Cedar isn't worth as much since most dimensional lumber these days is SPF (Spruce - Pine - Fir).

5. LP

LP Flying Boatman

I think its going to depend on how clear it is. Cedar strips are popular in strip building. Strips do not need a large cross-section. It's more a matter of how often a length of grain is interrupted by a knot.

6. hoytedow

Cedar chests and humidors don't need large pieces, nor do cedar coathangers or picture frames or birdfeeders etc.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.