Custom traditional yawl

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by JohnRichard, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

The tiny mizzen is not going to do much to help sail balance. The huge main not practical for your shorthanded intentions.
    Hmmm...

2. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

I'm guessing that it would take upwards of 16,000 hours to build a boat of that scale with sawn frames.It would take some very serious machinery to handle big chunks of wood and it would cost a packet just for the fastenings.Not to mention the boat hardware and the actual sails.It could be that our enquirer has the resources to tackle the project.It might even come to pass that the design would float the right way up and within a foot or two of it's intended waterline.If completed and afloat it would doubtless engender a huge amount of satisfaction.

On the other hand,the resemblance to Spray was noticed by at least one other and there are a few critiques of the original that may provide pause for thought.It can be a really absorbing hobby to work through the process of filling out all the details of a design and I would suggest the OP spends a bit more time fleshing out his thoughts and generating a fully faired lines drawing.Then adding a weight analysis and considering how exactly he would do such things as standing the stem on the keel and fastening it.Drilling long and accurate holes such as the floor attachments to the keel takes accuracy and robust drills and then we move on to the not inconsiderable challenge of wrapping sturdy planking round that full and buoyant bow.I will skate over the relative tedium of engine installation and wiring up the whole panoply of gadgets that have become indispensable these days and I assume a competent craning and trucking crew could move the vessel to a launching site.Which is where the expenses really start to add up;mooring fees,regular bottom paint,varnish and new lines for that traditional rig.

Or you could just buy something close on the used market and go sailing to those areas of interest.It might well cost less and see you get there sooner.

bajansailor and Will Gilmore like this.
  3. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

I have a book in my library by Howard Chapelle.

It covers working sailboats built in America (mostly The US).

In it he has a warning for those wishing to build Freindship sloops.

The warning is that this somewhat Apple bow vessel needs a large mainsail to work properly. He said he had seen folks try to build the as ketches, to better divide the rig into smaller sails. He said it worked out disastrously, making the legendary boats into "unhandy brutes.

I have heard of similar problems with SPRAY replicas, where the builder has gone with a similar rig design.

The original SPRAY started out with a twin jib sloop rig of 12 to 13 hundred sf. Of that, the main was nearly 900 sf.

After tangling with some pirates in The Mediterranean, the rig got shortened down to about 900 sf, with the main accounting for about 650 sf of that. Once it crossed The Atlantic again, he added a mizzen of about 155 sf.

As I hope you can see, the main sail always accounted for more than half the total sail area.

bajansailor and Milehog like this.
  4. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

I suggest you go with a smaller version of your design.

If you built a 40 ft version, it would come in at about 17.4 tons. A 38 ft version would come in at about 14.9 tons.

It would be far easier to find people willing and able to move this boat once it's ready.

It will also take far less time for you to complete its hull and deck.

A 48 ft boat is a large boat, even at lower displacement ratios. It would be a handful to single-handed sail. And, as someone else pointed out, all your other expenses would go up too. This includes dock space and haul out costs especially.

What do you need such a big boat for, anyway?

Do you plan on hauling cargo with it?

Have you ever built a plank-on-frame, round bottom boat before?

It is a very tedious process. And the wood has to have the annular rings oriented properly. With conventional saw milling, you may end up not being able to use half your planks.

I am not saying you can't do it, or even that you shouldn't do it.

What I am saying is that it's likely to take far more time than you think and an almost unbelievable amount of money.

bajansailor likes this.

5. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

@wet feet has nailed it absolutely here.

And here is your boat, ready made, and you can buy it for US$49,000 (but if they are desperate to sell I am sure they will entertain offers on this).
    The only slight snag for the OP is that she is on the other side of the Atlantic - but Boeings and Airbuses eat up the miles in short time if you want to go and have a look at her.
    1975 Spray replica sailboat for sale in Outside United States https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/26366

Here is an excellent analysis of Spray by Kasten Marine -
    38' SPRAY - Making An Icon Suitable for Voyaging http://www.kastenmarine.com/spray.htm

Spray of St Briac might still be for sale?
    The Spray of Saint Briac, a replica of Joshua Slocum's Spray https://www.boatsnews.com/story/29956/the-spray-of-saint-briac-a-replica-of-joshua-slocums-spray

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.