Cthippo's shipwrecks and derelicts thread

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by cthippo, Apr 15, 2011.

1. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Just my opinion, but I think it was an opportunity based 'new home' project.
    When I worked on boats as a kid we took three decks off a big ChrisCraft (to change out the engins) and those three Decks nearly took the Crane over.
    It looks like too much weight, too far above the CG to be trusted in the water.
    But the House sure looks classy eh?

2. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Maybe it's still a work in progress. Tack on a pair of BOR90 ama and aka and stick a paddlewheel on the stern and you're good to go.:p

3. masalai

masalai masalai

I wonder how many are abandoned here at Montey's marina on the Caboolture River in SE Queensland? I will be there for a couple of months (winter storage) before venturing off to PNG again...

Monteys Marina Lattitude: -27.107337° Longitude: 153.016694° using decimal degrees

Attached Files:

4. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

It certainly looks like the kind of place where abandoned boats would tend to collect.

5. Enforcer

Enforcer Junior Member

After all the Cyclones we have had, I expect to be many boats abandoned along the Queensland coast.

6. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Cyclones, Tornado's, Hurricanes and whatever they call them water spouts in the Easter oceans will sure pile up a bunch of boats in a makeshift harbor.
    I saw one photo of at least 30 boats piled up against a building in it's parking lot.

7. Enforcer

Enforcer Junior Member

This is what Yasi did to a marina, the storm surge put the floating marina over the poles and dislodged the marina.
    [​IMG]

8. BPL

BPL Senior Member

Yikes. Every time I see a hurricane hit the coast down south on the news, the fragility of boats sitting at the marinas is shocking.

9. Enforcer

Enforcer Junior Member

The problem with the above was that it should never have happened. Many people had mentioned that the pylon height that the floating marina was riding on was too low. Several worse hit areas did not suffer the same damage to the boats, as they stayed tied onto the docks. Many of the boats only suffered cosmetic damage, but there were many annoyed owners, as it was an accident waiting to happen.

10. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

the story i heard was that the developers kept the pylon heights low so they didn't interupt the views from the apartments and the pontoons just floated off once the water got high enough.

11. Enforcer

Enforcer Junior Member

Yep then they got a great view of a 50' boat IN their living room.
    That is also the story I heard, I am sure there would be a level of liability on whoever specified the pylon height.

12. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Jeez, That looks like the photo I saw of Florida after Andrew. Them Hurricanes will re-organize your parking arrangements!

13. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

I finally made it out to find one of the few wrecks here in Whatcom County. This is (I believe) the remains of the tugboat Prestige, located in Drayton Harbor in Blaine. As you can see, there's not much left of her, and what there is is only visible on a minus tide. She's on the Dept. of Natural Resources list for removal, but I suspect it's not going to happen any time soon.

Final picture is the Tahoma, which I just thought was a cool boat.

Attached Files:

14. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Last week my friend Betta and I spent a couple of days in Neah Bay and did a lot of hiking, a little paddling, and yeah, checked out some boats.

The first couple are boats at the Port Townsend boatyard. The Crane appears to be an old buoy tender and was just about to get picked up by their 300 ton travelift to go back into the water. I absolutely love her design. The other one is a bit of a work in progress.

Next up is the Orbit which is abandoned in the marina at Neah Bay and a couple of one which sank at her dock.

While we were down there we hiked out to Point of Arches in hopes of finding the bones of the USS General M. C. Meigs, a navy transport which sank while being towed from Olympia to San Francisco in 1973. I found information that a largish chunk of the vessel was visible at low tide, but after 4 miles of hiking, there was nothing to be seen. More research is called for.

Attached Files:

15. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Last week sometime I replied to a guy on Craigslist who had just bought a sea kayak and wanted to go paddling in Bellingham Bay. I suggested we go out of the Lummi Island Ferry dock at Gooseberry point and then down the island to look for a couple of sunken barges which have been in the paper recently, and which Dept of Ecology is getting ready to haul off and scrap. According to the news reports the barges have been responsible for ongoing sheens seen in Smugglers Cove, and one of the barges was cut down from a WW1 British warship. The smaller one has reportedly been cut up and removed, but the larger is waiting for a more opportune time in the fishing season in case more oil is released during it's removal.

In retrospect, I'm pretty sure I missed the ones I was looking for, but there were several other large derelicts at the same site which i did see. The lesson here is, as Clive Cussler said, "You can never do enough research".

On the way back we came up the Portage Island side of the channel and got a bonus. The Saint is what's left of about a 36' wooden fishing boat which has been driven ashore and broken in two.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.