crusing sailboat(of any size) as "bug-out" option for Zombie Apocalypse???

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Squidly-Diddly, Feb 26, 2012.

1. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

That post makes Masalai's economic commentary look like the latest edition of the wall street journal! Ha ha ha

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Probably your biggest challenge when you bug out on the water is all the folks from Wyoming taking to the sea alondside you..those guys are cowboys, not sailors . Give way..............................

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Talk about serendipity, or is it coincidence?!
    Bug-out when there is no fuel is complicated.

4. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

hoytedow, I feel your concern over auto fuel, but consider the WW2 German wood-gas.

Unlike BioDiesel, which requires some sort of 'conversion' plumbing at home, or even vegi-oil which requires...vegi-oil.....the "wood gas" only requires wood, which will still be around in vast amounts if anyone is still alive and earth hasn't been sucked into the sun or something.

With a WoodGas rig you can keep going as long as you can find any source of wood.

And in theory, any able craftsman should be able to convert a carborated engine to WoodGas in a long afternoon with simple household tools and savaged household sheetmetal, solder and piping.

I've always thought this option should be taught to advanced Emergency Preparedness people as a way to at least reconstitute a skeleton transit and transport if SHF and oil refineries all blow up and electromagnetic pulse knocks out all cars with 'computer brains', etc.

We should mothball a good number of older cars from "Cash For Clunkers" for this.

I'm not sure who much the wood needs to be processed for best results, so you might need a 110V converter and electric wood working tools to get unlimited range across country.

But the Germans were making fairly good use out of this concept when all petrol for civilians was cut.

5. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

During the Communist Revolution in Russia a large portion of the Russian Navy headed to American and other destinations. Another good chorse for a bug out boat by the way. Rick

6. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

I can get on a dirt bike to marina del rey in 10-15 minutes 2 up carrying some essentials. No worry about traffic jams and LA westside hippies are not going to stop me. Then I can pick the boat that looks fancy enough that the owner is nowhere nearby and get a few miles out, fish and watch los angeles burn with my binoculars.

7. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Unless the big one happens when your asleep, and it gently but swiftly slides into the sea. Perhaps a dingy for a bed...

8. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

Or a blowup mattress.

9. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

10. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Take lots of wine. You can use the corks to patch the bullet holes.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.