Creating a strong enough transom

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by TP-Mike, Feb 10, 2006.

1. TP-Mike

TP-Mike Junior Member

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble with a transom I have to redo for outboards.
    Which is:

The longitudinal frames in the boat end up close to the engine centers, but have to go down to suit the motorwell.
    Since the outboards create a great momentum on the top part of the transom, my guess is that I will have to create some framing that will pick up at the top of the transom at the sides and will angle to the longitudinal frames to divert forces.

In that case all forces will come back into the longitudinal frame but the transom won't be held forward on the centerline (where I cannot go to the top because of the well).

Any idea's? I've considered loads of them, but cannot make up my mind on which one will be best.

Or will some frames at a 90 degree angle from transom sides and middle to the second transverse frame be sufficient and am I making it to hard on me.

Attached a sketch for clarity on my blabbering.

All the best

Attached Files:

• top.JPG
      top.JPG
      File size:
      45.2 KB
      Views:
  2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

The sketch didn't help. Can the well and the sides of the well be part of the re-inforcing structure? Sam

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.