Creating a cargo sailer ship design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by SET Project, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Well, seems you have answered your own question:

Indeed!

I was hoping with a new year, some would actually answer the OPs questions rather than engage in semantics leading to the usual polemics, and never addressing the question at hand, whilst at the same time, offer their own pointless comments - as if no one notices the double standard being applied.

Indeed!

But of course, where is the SOR.. without this, any debate/discussion is pointless...just one dog ragging against another. :oops:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I believe the budget must be included into the SOR. Unless it is homework, it will greatly influence the design.

bajansailor and Skyak like this.
  3. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

It looks like someone offering delusions of grandeur in return for expensive professional services that presumably will be leveraged again to gain investment or more services. Asking what the budget is no ruder than leaving so much critical info out of the request.
    The BS sensor is pegged -I presume professionals have ways of dealing with this. If not, all I advise is proceed with caution and keep control of your IP and reputation when you are paid anything below your standard.

bajansailor and Milehog like this.
  4. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

he is a young person excited about his concept for (more) sustainable shipping.

probably with very little understanding of both shipping and ship design realities.

Most people like to hate on huge cargo ships while they are one of the most efficient ways of moving goods around.

So yeah I am skeptical of the project but I don't think we need to be _too_ cynical.

Olav and bajansailor like this.
  5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

But any engineering/science project must bear the rigours of scrutiny too!
    It is how we advance..

gonzo and Will Gilmore like this.
  6. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

yes. I am not advocating avoiding realities just maybe a more diplomatic tone.

OP was asking about aluminum use for said ship (was it 80m long?) and his own estimate was bas based on calculating the area of the deck, front&rear facing area and sides.

7. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Noted, and agreed.
    But there in lies the problem...perception and of the words and tone, especially based upon - just written text.
    There are no emotions in engineering/facts... only in those reading/interpreting them!

kerosene likes this.
  8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

At the end of the commercial sailing era, ships had their rigs reduced to lower the crew requirements. The profits kept on going down and only some local trading was still profitable.

9. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

10. alan craig

alan craig Senior Member

Kerosene said: Most people like to hate on huge cargo ships while they are one of the most efficient ways of moving goods around.

I once estimated the relative efficiency of a car and a cargo ship carrying a payload at 25-30mph - if you look long enough you can find power consumption figures online - the ship in water was several times more efficient than the car on a road, and if you take into account the thermal efficiency then the advantage for the ship greatly increases. Not surprisingly and not really relevant to this thread, a modern airliner from the 747 onwards is more efficient per ton/mile than a car and is so at about 10 times the average speed of a car.

11. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

I don't doubt this, but just for clarity, by 'car', you mean large commercial trucks hauling double-trailers or whatever is the most cost efficient way to move volume/weight long distances and short distances?

it would be interesting to see the numbers between trucking, rail, air and marine commercial shipping. just for giggles, how about including lighter than air.

12. alan craig

alan craig Senior Member

Will, no I did mean car so it's not so realistic as comparing with trucks I must admit. I looked up the numbers at a time when a scare phrase something like "shipping emits a million tons of carbon" or some such indefinable phrase was in the media.

13. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

here

Energy used per tonne-km

470651_1_En_6_Fig12_HTML.png

14. rob denney

rob denney Senior Member

Thanks Kero. Do you have a reference for that table, please.

Ta

Rob

15. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

This is not where I pulled it from but it has the same image.

Transport Transition Concepts https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-030-05843-2_6

Wikipedia used to have good info nicely presented if I recall correct but now the transport efficiency page was bit of a mess.
    I have seen similar figures before, only rail beats large ships.

Shipping got real bad reputation a few years back from hype documentary which stated something like 5 ships pollute as much as the whole car fleet of the USA. Which was a ridiculous statement referring only to sulfur emissions. Modern car fuels are sulfur free so yeah that stat is not incorrect as long as it’s made clear that sulfur is only one of the many issues from fuel burning. As a consequence I have bumped many times totally misunderstood repetition of the “fact” that 5 cargo ships emissions equal 100 million of cars or similar. Very irritating. People disregard the sheer volume of goods moved by this system.

RAraujo, Will Gilmore and bajansailor like this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.