Could you build a boat like this?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by stonedpirate, Nov 28, 2009.

1. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

The strength issues and differences in strengths of different construction methods in a boat 8 ft long is mute.Strip verses S&G verses dugout ....
    absurd .Its 8 ft long !

What are you planning for this " craft " sailing it off Niagra Falls ?
    Get a barrel.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The strength issues could be easily measurable, making them worth consideration., unless you waste material making it overly strong. Though in small craft, overly strong is just a fact of life because of material choices.

Stonedpirate, you really don't want a boat like this, you want a regular boat. G 'Day 88 is a very special purpose boat, that is about as impractical and unsuitable for anything other then what it was intended to do.

If you want an idea what this boat is like, I'm not kidding about the washing machine thing. Think of it as being inside a cork floating in the sea. You're the string beans inside the can sort of thing, is the general effect it'll have on your insides. If you want a realistic idea of this boat, get a cheap inflatable raft, 8' or less long and take it to the beach. Ride in it for as long as you can in the surf. The motion will be very similar and you'll have a real taste of how ugly a ride this is.

Find a skiff or other more suitable boat to fit your needs. There are literally thousands of designs to choose from and G 'Day 88 isn't something you want to do anything in beside attempt to break a passage record in a small boat, unless of course you just have a puking and motion sickness fetish.

3. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Making them worth consideration for what ?

Unless he really DOES want to sail over Niagra Falls .
    How much material can you " waste " on a boat between 8 - 12 ft using modern established , quick , and easy construction methods?

Like you said .....get a regular boat.
    Small is ok ....

4. stonedpirate

stonedpirate Senior Member

Yeah, I know its not the most comfortable of boats. But long distance micro cruising turns me on :p

Am a bit confused about ply thickness.

How do you know how thick to build it?

Would i use like 15mm for the transom and bottom and 9mm for the sides?

Does 15mm bend? What is the maximaum thinkness for bending marine ply with a decent curve?

5. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Google Matt Layden.......is useful for what you want to do.
    http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...x73mAQ&usg=AFQjCNEwA1CRhnOuU93y2XxrklA_MmW_SA

You will not bend 15 mm far.
    No need to go that heavy.
    6 mm sides ,9 mm if your`e paranoid.
    2x layers 6 mm on bottom maybe.
    run some battens inside to stiffen the panels.
    Look at Matt`s boats.

If you want to save some cash on the plywood , we have some excellent HOOP PINE EXTERIOR plywood here in OZ. superb quality ,
    no voids , same waterproof glue.Without the price of Marine Ply.GUNNERSON'S sells it.

Look at PARADOX ,

and SAND FLEA.

Attached Files:

6. stonedpirate

Thanks again Boat. You are a great help.

I checked out paradox.

Have a few problems with it.

1: it uses new technolgy that i dont understand :p

2: Plans arent available free.

3: Doesnt seem to be stitch and glue.

4: Not capable of offshoring or surviving a storm.

5: Too complex.

But thanks for the link anyway.

7. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

What is "offshoring" ? do you want to cross oceans ?
    Hard to advise you if you don`t define Excactly what you want to do with this boat.

Matt took those boats to the Bahamas ....not offshore ?
    I suggested you LOOK at them to get an idea of what can be done.
    Not to copy or build them.

You didn`t mention anything about free plans.

So why can`t you BUILD a boat like this in S&G ?
    You can build pretty well any boat with flat panels and multi chines in S&G.

You need to learn the boat building terms .Even to read plans.

What new technology ? His boats are as basic as can be.For the purpose.

Wrong kind of boat , but the build should give you hints :
    Scroll through to the earliest posts ........follow the build pics.
    http://www.bensboats.blogspot.com/

Good luck with it whatever you do.Use common sense and don`t drown !;)

8. stonedpirate

He doest have a keel and uses some kind of fancy chines and hull lift instead.

If i didnt make it exact, it might not sail straight.

But i see what you mean. Were just using it as an example.

I am interested in long distance voyages in smallest boats possible.

Dont plan to be caught in a storm, but if it happened would like at least some chance of survival :p

I like that tub and boats like "fathers day" that crossed the atlantic and was like 5 foot or so.

Basically i am trying to build an 8 foot boat that can carry 150 liters of water, 50 days worth of food and can be slept in overnight at anchor.

I am not planning to circumanavigate but sticking along the coast but would like to sail offshore to islands like rottnest and the abrohlos etc.

I know, strange requirements but thought it would be cool to have a tiny boat that could go far if you were willing to be uncomfotable for a while.

9. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

You would increase your comfort factor x 10 if you went longer ,
    say 12 ft min.

Good luck .Check out the Ben`s link, ignore the Kevlar.

10. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

11. RainGear

RainGear Junior Member

Hey stonedpirate,

I'm wondering if and how your microcruiser project has been proceeding? I'm also intrigued with these small vessels and have experienced some of the same questions/frustrations regarding [starting from scratch and] building one.

Being in Australia, have you visited the maritime museum (I'm not sure where it's located or the name of it right offhand) where the famous Happy II is located? It's a really cool design but has so many curves it is difficult to build (I think nearly impossible to build in wood and quite expensive to build in aluminum). Also, at 10', it may be a bit larger than you're hoping for?

RainGear (Don)
    California, USA

Attached Files:

12. stonedpirate

When 'Miss Cindy' and I started our Mexican cruise on that warm October day we sailed without intentions of making plans available. During our voyage I received about 200 requests for plans. I understand the dreams and aspirations that those requests represent. I had many reasons for not making plans available and many or those remained as we arrived in Florida seven months later. I sought out the counsel of another micro cruiser designer who was kind enough to share his experience and to answer my questions. I considered having kits made, study plans, full size patterns, and all manner of pricing including giving the plans away. My personal reasons however remain steadfast so I will not be offering plans.

Tony Bigras

------------

Still gathering supplies at the moment and have read about 10 books on design, bulding and bluewater crossings.

Dont intend to talk about it much on the net because most people are ******* :p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.